Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

501 - 520 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
True, their skinny basic package clearly reflects Bell's intension to prevent customers from saving any money.
I hope that Shaw Direct will soon invest some money in new hardware and more HD channels. Their skinny basic looks like the best choice and I would not mind switching to this provider once the upgrade is completed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When did Bell start offering the American channels in their starter package?
Am sure they weren't included last time I looked but they are today.
Starter package 21.95$ a month.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
@bluedrongo here is the full pricing for the Bell starter package:

Starter $21.95
Digital service fee $3.00
Total monthly fee $24.95

Here is a post from July 20
Bell has revised the Starter package in Ontario: Now includes US Networks with Additional 10 al la carte channels for $20 (was $37)...

·
Registered
114 Posts
@Dr. Dave

Sorry but I am in NB and have satellite.
I didn't look in the Fibe thread.

Maybe you can tell me if there is an option I have missed for adding Showcase in a la carte?
I can't find it listed as an option.
Plus, it says $15/mo. HD PVR rental or $7/mo. HD receiver.
I have my own PVR, so does that mean they won't let you take the package?

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
@bluedrongo I wasn't criticizing you for not having read the post, I was answering your question "When did Bell start offering the American channels in their starter package?" I checked Bell Satellite at the same time and they had also changed those packages.

I see Showcase for $7 in the list of À la carte channels in alphabetical order.

I'm not sure if the Bell equipment question has ever been answered in this thread or the Bell thread. If you are an existing customer and want to make the change, I can't see how Bell can charge you extra for equipment. If they are being uncooperative, you may want to keep a close eye on the CRTC hearings on Sept. 7 to see if Bell is forced to follow the spirit of the policy. (see post 478)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes it's true. Their technology is superior to Rogers. I see it here up against Videotron which essentially like Rogers. Bell has seen an increase in subs, about 25 000 per quarter. The technology is better than Rogers and they are getting a chunk out of Rogers who is losing as much as Bell is gaining. Also many Satellite customers are going to Fibe.

However Fibe is not cheaper than other providers. With 2 price hikes about every year or so people are now looking elsewhere. There are cheaper legal and also illegal ways to get the overpriced content providers like Bell are selling.

So Q1 2016 Bell only gains 12 000 TV subs and Q2 only added 2 000 subs. The decline has begun I think and only only get worse. Bell and Rogers prices are not going to decrease and the hemorrhaging subs even Bell.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@bluedrongo : Please use the following thread for BellTV pricing discussions.
I'm sorry but I don't understand, I was specifically wanting information on skinny basic and I thought that was what this thread was for.
I wasn't discussing pricing per se.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@Dr. Dave,

Thanks for the information, I will look at the a la carte list again, would be great if I could include showcase in the 10 for 20$ add ons.

I will certainly watch out for the CRTC hearings in September

·
Registered
114 Posts
Everything I mentioned in the #505 were questions pertaining to adding a la carte to skinny basic ( Bell starter package) and requirement to hire either PVR or receiver in order to subscribe to Skinny Basic.
So I still don't see where I transgressed.
However, I do apologize for offending.

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
There was no offense taken and no real transgression. I was just trying to point you to the pricing discussions for BellTV, where people familiar with BellTV may be able to provide you with specific answers to your questions. This thread is more general and people uninterested in Skinny Basic, or people with BellTV may not visit.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
CRTC to hold a hearing in Gatineau, Quebec

The CRTC will hold a public hearing from Wednesday September 7, to Thursday September 8, 2016 to examine how the new basic television package and flexible packaging options are being implemented across Canada.

A live audio feed of the hearing will be available on the CRTC website at www.crtc.gc.ca. A video feed will be available on www.cpac.ca. Transcripts of this hearing will be available.

Agenda: 7 September 2016

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hopefully they will set a maximum equipment fee and/or mandatory STB purchase option. The equipment fees are making skinny basic a bad deal.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
How about capping the internet prices! Who gives a crap about skinny basic! Why are we wasting effort on a dying medium.
Because over 11 million of Canadian families still have cable and they want more options when it comes to choosing Skinny Basic and being able to save on cable bill by paying for channels that they actually watch.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
This is a forum about the CRTC and Skinny Basic. Both topics interest me which I subscribed. Could the rest of you who want to talk about OTA, Internet issues, demise of cable/sat. and any other topic please go elsewhere? Thank you!

(I guess I'll get demerit points from the mods. for this but I am sick and tired of forums going off topic and being hijacked by people who have their own pet hobby horses to ride!!)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, I'll discuss Skinny Basic. Overpriced as soon they announced it. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! Better?:wink

Skinny Basic should have been limited to 15 dollars a month, mandatory HD channels, one HD box included in the price. Must be able to bundle with other services like the other TV packages offer, etc. I know it's too easy. Don't all applaud me at once... :x

501 - 520 of 540 Posts