Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

481 - 500 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Difficult....almost impossible to find. However will not waste my time on a hearing that itself is a total waste of time. The toothless tiger strikes again. Additionally the CRTC should get away from the heavy legal talk aspect of everything they do....sure it is a commission but lets get into the modern age. All discussions should be less than a 123 characters or something!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
So, just today, I received an invitation from Rogers to switch to Starter TV.

The thing is, I have been on the Rogers Digital Lite TV package for several years.

The Lite TV package costs less, and has more channels, so it seems unlikely that I will be switching. :rolleyes:

* I tried to upload a .jpg scan of the letter but got a message it was not a valid image file.

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
I found the original press release that the article is based on.

2016 Canadian Television and Internet Service Provider Customer Satisfaction Studies | J.D. Power
Satisfaction is highest among customers with a skinny service that allows them to expand and choose additional channels individually (761 on a 1,000-point scale), surpassing satisfaction among those with premium service (738), as well as those with a preset expanded basic package (708) or basic cable (700). More than one-fourth (28%) of customers have a skinny package that costs $25 or less, and 13% of customers pick and pay for additional channels above their skinny package. Satisfaction with cost is also high among customers in this group, which is encouraging for television providers as they generally receive much lower ratings than alternative video services on cost of service (6.0 on a 10-point scale vs. 7.8, respectively).
That can't be a random survey, since there is no way that 28% of households have skinny basic.

·
Registered
733 Posts
After Shaw announced that they would be increasing rates in August, I asked on their forum if skinny basic would be going up, but didn't get an answer.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Skinny basic can't go up. The price is capped at $25 by the CRTC.

AFAIK there is no provision for inflationary price increases, so the CRTC would have to do a full review in the future to raise the price.

·
Registered
733 Posts
From the Shaw forum, confirmation that Limited will not be going up in price in August.

The statement quoted simply implies that CRTC is not involved in this decision to adjust rates. However, in adjusting our rates, we will always comply with CRTC's mandate including Limited TV. We have updated the wording in our FAQ to include (with the exception of Limited TV) as the CRTC has set the $25 rate for that basic service across all TV service providers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The only way to make it smaller is if they had more stuff than what's required in it. Nothing stops them from increasing the equipment fee another $5, though.

(I also find that survey strange. Maybe it includes people with regular TV plans on a bundle where the actual TV part looks less expensive because the Internet is $80 and the bundle is $100.)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It is interesting that according to service satisfaction survey in the article Bell is either last or second last but Bell is the only tv service provider that is gaining new customers. Other providers have been losing customers for a while now.
This customer rating does not make sense to me, worst ranking service and Bell is increasing their customer numbers year after year.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
There are a couple of possible reasons for Bell's numbers. Bell has been making acquisitions (such as MTS) and it's been rolling out Fibe TV to new areas. Customer satisfaction doesn't mean a lot. Choosing between Bell and Rogers is like choosing between two scumbag politicians. You vote for the one that gives you the best deal or don't vote (don't subscribe.)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well, a lot of people like myself are not happy with Bell's pricing or bundle policies. I would love to switch to other provider that has better options when it comes to Skinny basic but unfortunately none of them has service quality even close to Bell Fibe tv.
I guess that is the reason why Bell is gaining new customers and other providers are losing them.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Not sure what you're basing "none of them has service quality even close to Bell Fibe tv" on. And ExDilbert has pointed out how Beill is increasing its customer base - nothing to do with service quality.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Bell is increasing their customer base due to Bell Fibe tv. Whole home PVR, wireless receivers and many other features that are available only on Fibe tv are the main reason for customer increase.
Bell and Rogers have similar pricing for new customers so it is not pricing but service quality that brings new customers. I would say that Rogers is not far behind Bell but Shaw Direct is way behind in hardware updates.
Bell has been increasing their customer base before acquiring MTS.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
From a technology viewpoint, Bell has been better than Rogers for many years. However, there are a lot of other things I don't like about Bell as a company. Being a Bell customer is like putting your bank account in a vice, they are always trying to squeeze more money out of it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Good luck finding it at Shaw's Cable website, where it's called Limited TV. Then, have fun trying to find out which channels are included. They try to make it sound like a lot, by counting standard definition and HD channels twice. I think it's mean-spirited that BC's Knowledge Network isn't included, which can't be received over the air.

481 - 500 of 540 Posts