Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Beth has already made contact with her bank to set up new password etc so she is well on her way. Now starts the installing of Avira, Erdnt, cookie monster, and lots of other programs, you know the drill. Biggest problem will be getting info off old hard drive. That means .... oh my gawd. :(
Everyone has their preferences. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials rather than a 3rd part AV. It integrates nicely and is unobtrusive.

I have been running it on my desktop and laptop since the v2 beta without a hitch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Depending on how technically inclined you are, you can buy a USB hard drive connector (I believe it does both IDE and SATA) from Tiger Direct for around $20. There may be other "external" docks that work for you as well.

Hook up the old hard drive with one of these docks to the new computer and copy and paste the files you want to keep. It may save you some grief and time with regards to burning DVD's. Depending on what you are doing with the old PC, you can always copy the files you need from the old hard drive and then keep it around as a backup drive.

I usually remove drives and connect them to my PC via USB to virus clean/back up files when I clean computers for friends.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
mark f: thanks for that reminder. I have often thought of those external cases but never dug too deeply. I will check it out at local Tiger Direct. How complicated is the wiring hookup? That is what shyed me away in the past. Not knowing what the problem really is with old computer also is a question. It seemed more of a hardware problem such as motherboard rather than the hard drive. So many other things occupying my time at home with time constraints on some that it could be several days before I can get to Beth's setup. But hey, she has her games to play with. :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it's 6+ years old, I would guess IDE. If you pop the case open, you'll see a grey ribbon cable to the hard drive (about 10 cm wide) and a power cord (black, orange and yellow). If it is SATA it will be a thin connector and power cord. Either way, just unscrew the hard drive out, and connect the appropriate wires from the dock. They only go in one way, due to the way the pins/connectors are. If you get a "drop in" dock, you just plug the drive in and go.

If the hard drive is faulty, you're out $20 or so. If not, you can recover all the files you want fairly easily.

In terms of security software, I would also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Security suggestions will be researched further as time allows. I did manage to get over for an hour or so this evening and have burned the 3 recovery discs so we have that out of the way. Also marvelled that Win7 recognized the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse so out with the supplied PS2 setup that came with computer. So much bloat ware and crappola on supplied programs that it gets frustrating. Programmers need to realize that not everyone in the galaxy cares about their cleverness and skills beyond what is necessary. On the other hand, glad that they are around. :)
markf: Just noticed that you are a fellow Burlingtonian. Walkers and #5 used to be out in the boonies but now not far from the centre of the universe as we know it. sailmaker

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sailmaker, a bit late to recommend, but you can remove the bloatware with PC-decrapifier. Good to run the program before doing the recovery disks - that way the image just keeps the good stuff.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Final Report: Haven't been over last few days and I will attempt to run decrapifier to dump remaining bloatware. I will install HP printer, remove 2 memory sticks which I paid for a year or so ago, remove the hard drive and take it apart for rare earth magnets, scratch the disks with a John Deere harrow :D and take remainder to Best Buy for recycling. Thanks to all who read/wrote/helped. All was appreciated.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts