Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirius XM Radio last week introduced the Lynx Portable Radio, the second device - the first was the Edge Radio - offered by the company with SiriusXM 2.0 capabilities.

SiriusXM 2.0 is a new broadcasting technology announced in October which the company says uses “highly efficient modulation and compression techniques” to deliver 25% more bandwidth capacity without affecting the broadcast quality of existing channels.

In addition to being able to tune in more channels, the Android powered Lynx radio also provides subscribers with interesting features such as the ability to: record up to 200 hours of programming, stream content via Bluetooth, pause and rewind live radio, go back in time up to 5 hours to select and listen to previously broadcast programming, search up to 7 days of programming and select programming from a touch screen display.

The Lynx is now available from SiriusXM for $250 U.S.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI, SiriusXM 2.0 is not available in Canada at this time and no word on when it might be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
LYNX

Too bad they didn't include the ability to listen to sat. on the go like the SL2. They would have had something worth buying.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So if I'm on the USA side with a subscription on the SIRIUS network, where do I activate if I buy one. According to the user manual, it's an XM ID, not SIRIUS.

I'm interested in picking one up, somehow.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The Sirius side is very gradually being phased out (probably take many years). That is why all "SiriusXM" Radios are actually "XM" based.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went online, started the process of activation, and it turns out you can now submit an XM ID if you were previously setup on the SIRIUS network.

·
Registered
832 Posts
OK, I don't understand a single post here. What is the Lynx exactly? A unit that only picks up live satellite when stationnary on a cradle (like the original Stileto?). Does it not pick up live radio when used portable? If that's the case, then SiriusXM's got another miss on their hands.

Now if you sample that 25% extra programming on the internet feed, you'll agree that it's little more than additional shuffle of contents already available (except for some mexican talk and adult channels...).

And by the way, about improved modulation allowing 25% more bandwidth without affecting SQ well... Let me tell you something about that. They introduced Hierarchical modulation in 2005 to accommodate BackSeat TV, again stating the SQ would not be affected... Well behold! on some nights when sports were all over the place, some selected music channels became actually unlistenable to the point where they had to suspend some channels by replacing contents by a looped message.

So no, I am easily convinced that anything they do adversely affect quality. Cramming more and more (and more) within the same bandwidth will do that, no matter what.

However I will be traveling to a Bestbuy store in VT soon to sample what that radio does for the seasoned listener and don't tempt me with pre-emptive listening, rewind and forward stuff, I want a quality radio that delivers quality live sound on the go, something I haven't been exposed to in a VERY long time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, i have a activated Lynx and im disappointed in it. I find the display too small in the car, and the remote has very limited capability. The home dick transmits audio via bluetooth, but removing it from the doxk cuts off the sat feed, and you have to switch to internet. The Inno or Xmp3 are far better portables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts