Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Is it just me or has the sound quality degraded(ALOT) since the lineup change the other day?

Ive been noticing that many music channels seem really... tinnie for lack of a better way of explaining it since then...

Does anyone know if they increased the channel compression or someting?

Thanks
Adam

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Frankly, I can`t imagine they could get any worse. Seemed equally crappy to me today.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm curious.

Does anyone know what sort of encoding and bit rate Sirius channels use? I Googled the question and read that it is a VBR ~34kbps bit rate and I thought "that can't be right, that's worse than the FM radio that they seek to replace".

Does anyone know where I can get this data?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Quite the opposite for me, since the update, i believe the quality has improved, I have sirius built in my F150, will have to check the Jetta too. I also have a sportster5 with a lifetime sub out of commission now,, no more dock for it... cant test that one at this time..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
XM and Sirius have always refused to release that information due to "competitive reasons".

Now that they're one in the same I see no competitive reasons.

I have seen bit rate numbers floated around over the years but I don't know how reliable they are.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Use the Google search on this site as it has been posted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've noticed that some of the channels sound a bit staticy, I thought it was something to do with my fm transmitter.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use the FM transmitter and I thought there were sound issues in the days leading up to the channel changes.
Specifically for me, the S's sounded static-y.
Haven't noticed it since though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have found the total opposite. I have actually had to turn settings down now. To me it seems like they boosted and leveled out the signal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Sportster and factory radio in my Pathfinder, and both of them have had a drop in quality since the station change. I don't notice it much on the talk channels, but it is really noticeable on 66 Watercolors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For the last few days, there's a lot of skips (for lack of a better term), at least on The Boneyard. I can be parked in a wide open area and it still happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Metalhawk

I too have been experiencing this "skipping" on "Boneyard."
I called Sirius support and they said they would reset my radio, (I have a 2010 Ford Ranger and the unit is built in behind the glove box.)

That didn't help. I then called back and the second rep suggested I rest the radio to factory. Well that's not possible as I have no control over the built in unit.
I then went onto the web page and manually did a reset on my radio as well. Did nothing.
I didn't bother to call back a third time. I sent an email . Response time is 3 days as per my receipt email back.

I am in Nova Scotia so it looks like it's happening all over.
I also told them it wasn't just my vehicle it was my wife's as well so I know it can't be both radio's going bad at the same time.
(My wife also says it's on her channel too, The Pulse......

·
Registered
387 Posts
And that's not to mention the frequent title/artist screw-ups for the past few weeks as well. Last week, for about 5 minutes the sound was all garbled, followed by 10 minutes of silence (on The Boneyard and Hair Nation. Liquid Metal seemed fine). The skips have been occurring roughly since then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i complained about the "skips" and the csr said they are having issues with the satellite pending the upcoming merger go-through.
he gave me 3 months free service!!:)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I called as well (no free service offered :( ), and was told this is a signal issue that started when they re-aligned the channels. It's apparently not happening in the US, so it's not a satellite issue.

The rep also told me that every 2nd or 3rd call is regarding this issue, so they are fully aware of it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Sirius have been craptastic from day one. I had a 3-year free subscription from VW for my GTI and I only used it for less than 1 hour and never used it again. I can't imagine it gets any worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well here is their reply. At least they admit they have a problem

Thank you for writing to us about your radio not receiving all of the
channels or skipping after the reorganized channel lineup. There has
been an issue with a number of radios and we are working on a solution
for this. We hope to have the issue resolved as soon as possible.
We regret any frustration this may cause, and we appreciate your
patience.

Sincerely,

Jennifer G
SIRIUS Customer Care

1 - 20 of 33 Posts