Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been experiencing degaded Sirius reception in Calgary since Sunday, March3, 2013?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reception problems are actually occurring with 3 different home radios that I know of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours has not been working since Monday, March 4. I called and they said it was my antenna. I changed it and there is still no signal received. I called again and they are sending me some kind of subscription update. I am waiting. Sometimes I find the service is a little too sketchy, dropped signals and so forth. They don't have the best customer service IMHO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have experienced the same with their customer service. Given what has happened with previous outages it is more than likely the terrestrial repeater. Sirius doesn't appear to want to check it out. I am probably going to cancel my account.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For several months, the terrestrial repeaters for XM here in St. John's were continually dropping out. They seem to have fixed the problem recently, but my XM contract ends in 10 days so I'm not paying much mind. . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
calgary signal problem

I believe its the ground repeater in Calgary. I havent had signal all week but it seems to be ignored by their CSR's who dont understand that the sat signal here isnt as strong as in some cities. It seems every so often the repeater will die for a while and you're with out signal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still down as of Sunday afternoon. I ended up calling customer service three times on Thursday. I essentially got three different responses to my issue. I asked specifically about the repeaters or a problem on their end but they could never give me a straight answer.

I will wait for the new antenna they are sending me but I really don't think that is the problem. Sounds like a repeater issue or something similar on their end.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unless you're in the city centre, a well-located antenna should be able to get satellite reception.

If I recall correctly, Sirius does have one geostationary satellite now. See if you can find where it is in the sky, and aim an antenna at it. I'm able to do the same with XM and get reception, even through walls of my wood-frame but stuccoed house. (Single storey, which helps.)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I believe its the ground repeater in Calgary. I havent had signal all week but it seems to be ignored by their CSR's who dont understand that the sat signal here isnt as strong as in some cities.
I still don't understand why the satellite signal would be any weaker in Calgary than it is anywhere else. In fact, Calgary seems pretty close to where the satellites cross over, so it should be getting a stronger signal than most places.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I can barely get the signal now in my car driving through the buildings and +15s in downtown Calgary. And that really is the problem: lots of +15 crosswalks and buildings jammed in with virtually no free space (unlike a city like Atlanta for example where the downtown buildings are quite spread out).

I'm even losing when driving under overpasses when I'm going slowly due to traffic. And until a week or so ago I hardly ever lost my signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear ya ... Im actually right downtown and my stiletto used to get full signal anywhere I went and with the exception of a few blips with the satellite signal kicking in I'm getting nothing now

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually have a second sub on a lynx and I've been using that since last week. It gets full terrestrial signal on the xm side on my dock

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My home dock has sat in the same position on the window shelf for about 5+ years with 3 bars almost all of the time. A couple weeks ago it was doing fine. Today - nothing. Tried all sorts of positions but from the window not a thing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You guys need to differentiate between the terrestrial antenna and the satellite antenna. Sounds like the terrestrial antenna is down in Calgary. Check the status bar in the menu. I get very good sat reception where I am, but 0 terrestrial reception, as there are no repeaters nearby. My reception has stayed constant, with occasional short drop outs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually received a "courtesy" call from Sirius this morning saying that all issues with the Calgary repeater have been solved. However, nothing has changed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually received an email from customer service today as well:

Hi Chris,Thank you for writing to SIRIUS Canada regarding your signal.We have experienced an outage in the AB location, but it should be*resolved now.We hope this addresses your concerns.* If you have any additional*questions or concerns, please remember SIRIUS Customer Care is ready andwilling to assist you at anytime.

The only problem is that I'm still not getting a signal!?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts