Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this item improve the sound quality of the plug 'n play units even if you live in regions with a relatively "uncrowded" FM dial. Does the direct connection make any difference otherwise? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Most will agree that direct wired will offer an improvement over fm broadcast.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Haha, maybe if you do what I did, they'll send you one for free. I called them and said my radio was dropping out a lot, and they said maybe it's the reception between your receiver and your car radio. I said not likely, but they insisted I try using an FM modulator. The offered to ship one to me at no charge (wow!). I opened up the envelope to find TWO in there. But I see they go inline between the radio and vehicle antenna, so I couldn't be bothered to try. I know that wasn't the issue anyway.

I ended up calling them some time later to cancel (trying to save money) and I mentioned nothing had improved and that it must just be a weak signal where I am. They then offered me a new radio at half price. I said thanks but no. She said hold on, then comes back and offers me the radio FREE and that I just need to pay shipping! I didn't want to, but I thought it was too good to pass up. So I agreed and got the new Starmate 5, i think. It was identical to my old one except the backlight was now blue and it has a buffer so I can rewind. Pretty cool. I used it for a few months then cancelled anyway.

I don't know why they've been so good to me (maybe they've made a ton of money off of me already?) but maybe you can call and see what they can do for you? Although I do have two ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
FM Modulator

I Installed an FM modulator, on my 2002 Ford.It came with the XM radio ,I replaced, because the other one was hit by a powersuge, that fried the reciever.We live in Central British Columbia ,right in the mountains.

The FM modulator does improve the sound quality, is easy to install, but it is still affected by FM stations, so you will still have to change frequencies,when there is an FM station, on the same frequency as your Satellite reciever

When I sold my Ford in the spring, I installed the FM modulator ,on my 08 Tacoma, and the sound is excellent. I did try it without the FM modulator, but the sound was impaired, as if you were listeneing to a FM staion far away. Hope this helps,Pacific pete

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The inline FM coupler units are not modulators. That is in the radio. The units simply provide a direct connection to the antenna input on the radio and disconnect the car antenna. This improves the sound in two ways. It helps eliminate outside interference and provides a stronger signal to the radio. I use an XM unit with a Sirius radio. They seem to be interchangeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts