Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks

I was just wondering if Sirius works in the middle east. My brother is going into service in Afghanistan in August. I would like to know if it was worth brining the radio with him.

Cheers

p.s. I have tried talking him out of signing up, with no luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
No, of course not. The satellites are in orbits that only cover this side of the planet.

However, if he has high speed internet available at his post, he may be able to stream Sirius/XM programming via that method.

Your brother is to be commended for his service. You can support him by paying his streaming subscription should it be usable over there.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The low orbit satellites probably cover the opposite side of the planet as well as they do NA. Would that be Australia and/or New Zealand? Unfortunately, the NA uplinks would not work anywhere but over NA. If some enterprising company wanted to build uplinks for Sirius Down Under, it might work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The low orbit satellites probably cover the opposite side of the planet as well as they do NA. Would that be Australia and/or New Zealand? Unfortunately, the NA uplinks would not work anywhere but over NA. If some enterprising company wanted to build uplinks for Sirius Down Under, it might work.
The market Down Under for Sirius would not be profitable, considering the costs for satellites. Sat Radio is barely profitable in North America with a much larger population and market.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
OK. I get it. 24hr elliptical orbit. Satellites never leave the western hemisphere. I was thinking they had a lower orbit that encompassed the entire globe. I guess that's why I'm not a rocket scientist. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ummmm, i dont recall seeing alot of Sirius radios over there. Dont recall much time for music neither. Kind of a tactical thing, depending where he is going i guess. I imagine a shortwave would probably be of more use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts