Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirius Canada will ship updated versions of its Sportster, Stratus and Starmate receivers this fall.

Each model will get a cheaper version 6 model and a more expensive version 7 model that adds an auxiliary input and remote control for an extra $10.

The subscription satellite radio broadcaster will also be releasing a a portable Internet Radio for $130 that comes with a Sirius dock so you can listen to both Internet radio and Sirius.

At this point, look for all existing models to go on sale now or next week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
about time, it's been about 4 years since the latest line up came, which I also like, it sucks when a company like Apple releases a new iwhatever every year

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reality is there is little new in radios so new models really aren't required that often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Sirius Radios?

I got to sample Sirius radio in a rental car I was using when mine was in the shop. I'm thinking of subscribing, but portability is important to me and I'd like to listen at home, outside, in the car and possibly at the gym. I found a model that I think would work, which was the Stiletto 2, with the home and vehicle kits, but the cost was approx $329. Then I read somewhere that new radios (upgrades?) would be launched this fall in Canada, including a $130 portable version. Does anyone know if that has occurred yet, or when, approximately this will happen? I'm not sure whether to take the plunge with the Stiletto 2 or wait. Finally, does Sirius ever put together "holiday" specials and do you think it's worth waiting for that?

Thanks so much for your help,
Kris

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've seen Sirius radios on sale in Canada. Just before Christmas is a good time to look. Picked up a Starmate 5 with 3 months free sub last year for $49. It was at Canadian Tire in the auto department. You might find some deals on the web site but they are not usually that good. It's worth a try though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you really like the Stiletto 2 I would take the plunge now as I believe it is being discontinued and I have not heard of a comparable replacement planned (ie - portable standalone radio with recording capability). I would suspect the Stiletto 2 is being discontinued due to its track record and problems related to memory failure and heat issues (you can google it). Having said this I have one myself and love it and have had no problems. I've only heard the Sportster, Stratus and Starmate are getting updates this fall. There is limited Stiletto 2 stock and the other main option available to you is the pioneer xmp3. The normal retail on the Stiletto 2 is $299 but every few months they go on sale at select retail outlets for $199.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sirius Hardware

Does anyone have any good feedback regarding the Sirius Starmate 7.
I was thinking of buying one this week and taking advantage of the 50% off for 6 months deal.

Tried calling Sirius Canada and after waiting on the phone for 15minutes finally got a rep, but not too much info on their devices.

Xm had quicker response, and more knowledge on the XM Snap, but no Howard Stern in Canada on XM yet.

-Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the last five years, I've never heard any real complaints about the basic satellite radio. They are pretty hardy devices. The only difference between the models is typically the feature set. The 7 adds a few features but its not going to sound any better if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The new radios have Power Connect which transmits an FM signal from your Sirius radio to your car stereo through the power cable/cigarette lighter adapter. This should get rid of the static that the newer radios have. (The original radios had a much stronger FM transmitter until the FCC forced Sirius to lower it)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sirius Hardware

Thanks for the info update on new receivers hugh.
Picked up the Starmate 7 today and will activate sometime this week. It was a great bargin at 39.99.

I'll let everyone know how my sign up went.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starmate 5 or 7

Prior to signing up I received a x-mas gift The Stramate 5. Problem is I already purchased the Starmate 7.

Any suggestions on which is better and which to keep.

P.S. I would only connect via AUX cable and never utilize any FM connection.

Does anyone have any opinions on the replay feature on the 5?

-Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts