Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian subscription satellite radio providers, Sirius Canada and XM Canada have each announced the availability of a free Android smartphone App for their respective subscribers.

Through the free applications, Sirius Canada and XM online subscribers can access more than 100 satellite radio stations. Some select programming including NFL Play-by-Play, Nascar Radio, and Howard Stern, is not available.

In addition to having the ability to listen to selected Sirius Canada or XM Canada channels on their Android phone, the application gives users the ability to maintain a list of favourite channels and view what is playing on all other available channels via the "lookaround" function.

Sirius Canada subscribers can download the app and listen to at no additional charge while XM Canada Satellite Radio subscribers will need to spend an extra three dollars per month for access through their Android phone.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I just installed the XM Android app - it's not in the marketplace, so you may have to lower your security settings to install it.

I've used it for 15 minutes now, it crashed on a channel change once, but working fine otherwise.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Gotta love the Data Usage Warning on the Sirius app. They tell you to contact your carrier to get an "unlimited" data plan.:D What's that?:D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the math is like this:

S-XM stream is 32 kbps

That's 4 kBps (8 bits in a byte)

That's about 14 MB in one hour.

Continuous listening over an 8 hour day will chew up about 115 MB of bandwidth. Yes, an unlimited data package would be ideal. Good luck in getting one. :rolleyes:

I recently got the app for my BlackBerry 8330 Curve. My Bell service gives me 500 MB data. I ate up a good chunk of that listening to SXM for less than an hour a day (on the GO train to and from work) over a couple of weeks.

I listen on-line at home (unlimited connection) and "broadcast" it to other radios in the house using an FM transmitter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Continuous listening over an 8 hour day will chew up about 115 MB of bandwidth. Yes, an unlimited data package would be ideal. Good luck in getting one. :rolleyes:
I have unlimited data with WIND. Though I only use about 3GB a month.

The Sirius app works well on my Nexus One. Not having Howard Stern is a negative for me but not surprising. And I listen to Howard on the PC anyway while at work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the math is like this:

S-XM stream is 32 kbps

That's 4 kBps (8 bits in a byte)

That's about 14 MB in one hour.

I recently got the app for my BlackBerry 8330 Curve. My Bell service gives me 500 MB data. I ate up a good chunk of that listening to SXM for less than an hour a day (on the GO train to and from work) over a couple of weeks.

I listen on-line at home (unlimited connection) and "broadcast" it to other radios in the house using an FM transmitter.
I think you're wrong. I'm pretty sure the streams are 128kbps, at least I know the Sirius online stream is as is the one to the iPhone. I'm fairly sure that XM Canada's paid streaming is also 128kbps (checking their site says yes it's 128k for the paid stream.)

So that's 128/8 *60 *60 for an hour = 57.6 MB. Plus likely overhead for artist metadata, the information for all the other Whats On Now on other channels. I think when it first came out on the iPhone I measured it as something around 70-90MB per hour, dependant though on whether you stay on one channel or switch frequently.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yes, you're correct. 128 kbps is what XM Canada uses.

I had forgotten that Wind has an unlimited data package. However, it's coverage isn't good enough yet for to make the switch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Surely there is some less limited 3rd party app for android that let's you listen to Sirius/xm like Wunder Radio on iPhone ?

I just wish the Blackberry version did...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts