Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Can you run Bell and Sirius down the same cable using a combiner etc?

I have previously done the same with Rogers and Sirius and it works perfectly, however, I understand the same hardware will not work with satellite signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It might work but finding the right equipment to combine and separate signals could be an issue. XM and Sirius use frequencies between 2300 and 2400 MHz. That's right at the top end of the DishPro IF spectrum. Expect interference if DishPro or DPP equipment is being used. Legacy equipment might work. You may also run into problems with power on the coax. Not sure if Sirius and XM antennas require power but I suspect they do. Dish/Bell equipment definitely requires power to operate. If possible, recommend running separate cables.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the reply. Trying to avoid that extra cable run if at all possible...would an OTA signal fair any better than a satellite if I combined it?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Combining satellite tv and OTA over the same coax works. Satellite TV LNB's convert the 11-12 GHz signal at the dish to 0.9-2 GHz.

What I don't know is if the Sirius antenna downconverts the signal from 2.3 GHz to something else before sending it down the coax.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for taking the time to reply.

I already own the hardware to combine Rogers and Sirius together...are you saying that will also work on an OTA signal + Sirius together?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A couple of diplexers should work. Put Sirius on the satellite side of the diplexers. They might be cheaper than the kit (typically about $5 each.)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
To answer your question, OTA and Sirius should work the same as Rogers and Sirius. Just connect the OTA where Rogers would go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts