Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i don't have a cell phone ( i know i'm in the stoneage aren't i lol?) Anyway this year i want to spoil myself with an iphone 4. I live in Sioux Lookout Ontario ( do you know where that is? I would really like to hear from someone that live here too).

I want this phone to work when we go to Dryden ( is there coverage between Sioux and Dryden? in case we have an accident or something ect) , to Winnipeg, to Thunder Bay and to Ignace. Once in a while to Quebec ( like every few years of so when we go on vacation) and eventually to Edmonton ( also for vacation).

Now i have all my other services with Bell so i would like to go with them too. I talked to 2 bell customer services person online that told me that yes the phone will work here 100%. And one on the phone that said it won't work. So what is it? Will it or won't it?

I looked at the coverage stuff on bell's site but i don't understand any of it ......

Can you help me? I don't want to sign a 3 years contract and buy an expensive phone to find out it won't work...

thanks for your help

And remember be kind lol I don't know much about this stuff so if what i'm asking doesn't make sense don't laugh too hard at me .

The people at Bell are telling me different stories depending who i talk to...

I also know about Tbay tel and a compagny in Dryden but i would rather go with Bell and have everything on one bill if that's better... Unless there's a big advantage with going with them...

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Sioux Lookout doesn't have HSPA coverage from Bell, which is needed for iPhones. It has CDMA coverage, but it only has the slower 2G version of CDMA, not the faster EVDO network.

As far as I can tell, if you want an iPhone where you are you'll need to use Rogers/TBayTel.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
In addition, you cannot get a Sioux Lookout number from Bell. My Bell phone does work without issue in Sioux Lookout but it is a CDMA Blackberry, not an HSPA device like the iPhone. You will need a TBaytel phone.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Apple has released a new iPhone model in June or July of every year since 2007. Current speculation is that "iPhone 5" will follow that same timeline, so if you're set on getting an iPhone, it might be worth waiting a couple months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you so much , i think i will wait for the new one to come out then.

So i have to go with Tbaytel?

What's the difference between CDMA and HSPA ?

How come i can't get a Sioux Lookout number? People in Sioux Lookout have cell phones ... ( ok so i don't , but i assume other people do lol)

If i don't have a Sioux Lookout number does that mean that every phone calls i will make will be long distances?

I'm glad that you're here to help me understand all of this because out of the 3 people i talked to at Bell 2 of them were ready to sell me the phone and said it would work 100% here no problem and one of them said we don't sell cell phones to Northern Ontario cause we have no towers there ... So i didn't know what to think...

Now if i go with TbayTel does that work just around here or will it also work when we go away? Like when we go to Quebec and Edmonton ect. I don't know much about that stuff but TbayTel sound like a small company to me so i'm kinda worried about it.... Do they have good service and do their phone work all over Canada or just around here?

thanks again so much for your help :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bell does not have Sioux Lookout numbers, TBayTel does. If you were to get a Bell phone you would have to get a 705 area code number (Sault Ste Marie would probably be the closest number, geographically, that you could get)

TBayTel and Bell have roaming agreements for the CDMA network, and TBayTel and rogers have a roaming agreement for the HSPA network so your phone will work in outside of TBayTel's area without any issues.

Bell's coverage stops just north of Sault Ste Marie on Hwy 17, so the rep who told you that they don't have towers in Northern Ontario is pretty much right.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I forgot that Bell recently put up a few towers in Thunder Bay. The OP could get a Thunder Bay number with Bell, but that would still be impractical. I've also heard rumours that Bell will be putting up towers to give service along Hwy 17 and the roads into larger northern communties

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thanks , i went to the Tbaytel store here in town but they don't carry the iphone in Sioux , however the guy told me it is working in Sioux . I just have to go to Dryden if i want to buy the iphone. So i think i will wait until the new one come's out ( since someone on here said they come out with a new one pretty much every summer) and i will get one. I think when the iphone 5 ( or whatever is will be called ) come out the iphone 4 will probably be cheaper then right? So i could get the phone that i like now cheaper if i wait. I know the 5 will probably be even more awesome but the 4 should still be good since i already like it now i don't really see what else they can add that would make me want to pay more for the 5... ( i hope that make sense lol )

thanks again so much for your help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts