Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if this is possible:

Having single system with multiple ATSC tuners (3) that can independently distribute and be controlled to 3 TVs. Also to have capability for Bluray.

I currently have a quad core 6gig ram system with single HDMI out and a gyration (MC) remote. Works great for single tv but would like to have it for other tv's in the home.

Any suggestions? What would I need? I can purchase tuner card with more than one tuner but can it be independently controled for more than one tv? Lets say I want to watch DVD/Blueray on one TV and OTA on the others?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
So here's what I've done. Not cheap but it works well.

First piece of hardware: HDHomerun (maybe two of them if you need 4 tuners)
Next: Nettops, they can generally be had for around $ 250 per TV...

Software: Either MythTV, or Windows Media Centre. Windows Media Centre is easier to setup, but MythTV is way cheaper (free).

I suggest sticking to Windows so you can get Netflix up and running easily.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I would recommend SageTV as your PVR software and SageTV HD-300 extenders at all clients. This is my setup - I have 5 of these extenders connected to a central server - you can also use PCs as clients and you can Placeshift over the internet (just like Slingbox). My server can tune simultaneously: 3 OTA HD channels, 2 HD digital cable channels and one SD digital cable channel. The system can play back pretty much every video type there is, including BluRay rips. Sage costs $80 but is well worth it.

@Oakville guy you say Myth is way cheaper than MC and then say to stick with Windows. Don't you realize that if you buy Windows Home Premium, or higher, then Win Media Center comes with your OS?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts