Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my home # set with simultaneous ring to ring on my cell. It works mostly great. Except I cannot call my home phone #. When I call home, it's simultaneously ringing my cell which makes my cell's voicemail answer immediately, so it's like I just called voicemail from my cell. If I was calling from a number that did not have call waiting, I assume it would ring busy hwen I called my home #.

Not helpful at all when I need to get a hold of someone at home. I understand why the problem is happening, but I really would have thought that their system was smarter and that if you were calling from a number that it's set to simultaneous ring to, then don't bother ringing that number because obviously you want to get through to the original #.

Does this work the same for everyone else? I'm hoping maybe something is just set up wrong on my account.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I have the same problem and its annoying to me as well, so its not only you

·
Registered
502 Posts
same for me, what I ended up having to do was sign into Shaw from my phone to turn off the feature and then phone home. Needless to say, I have the feature off now because it's very inconvenient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you using bluetooth on your cell phone? I have found that if I am in my truck with bluetooth on it does the same thing. I found that this is a funstion of bluetooth so that you are not fumbling with your phone to answer a second call while driving. The phone auto answers to voice mail if you are on the phone, which you are as you are calling home. Same thing happens if i am on with someone on my bluetooth and someone calls home, my cell voice mail grabs it immediately.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
When I call home, it's simultaneously ringing my cell
What happens if someone else calls your home, while you're on the cell phone?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I believe whichever line answers first would be the one that takes the call. If you do not have VM on the cell phone there is a chance this could work.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
^^^^
In PBXs, a commonly used feature is the "ring group", where multiple phones ring when the number is called. It'd be a real problem if one person being on the phone caused the call to immediately go to voice mail, while others are waiting for calls to go in. If this is what that service is doing, then it's defective. Since you work at Shaw, perhaps you can get someone to test this. It definitely should not be going to voice mail, if there's still a phone that can take the call. It should only be going to voice mail after a few rings, even if someone is on one of the phones or if all the phones are busy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If I'm on the cell and someone phones home, it rings both cell and home only because I have call waiting on the cell. If the cellphone has no reception, or call waiting is deactivated, it will go straight to voicemail--which is why I have it turned off now. More often than not, it went to my cell's voicemail when someone was actually home to answer.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@james: It's different for business account. This is a residential account so the sim ring feature is designed for when you want say home and cell to ring at same time. If you are on your cell and call home it tries to ring home and also rings back to cell as well (since that's how the service is supposed to work). Problem is if you have VM on your cell it will pick up right away since you are actuially on your cell.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But the service should be smart enough to know that if I am calling from a number that has sim ring set up on the number I am calling TO, then it should *not* ring the number I am calling from. Because obviously I need to get a call through.

I can see this being very unsafe in many situations. For example, mom is out with the kids driving on the highway. Her car breaks down, wants to call husband at home, can't because she keeps getting redirected back to her call. She tries to call another family member to get them to call him but nobody is home.

There are many situations where this could be serious. It needs to be fixed. Do I report this to any CSR that answers the phone? or is there someone better to report this to?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's not that smart. All it does is redirect calls. The first one that picks up, gets the call. If your cell goes directly to VM, then it goes to VM. The solution, I think, would be to contact your cell provider, and ask them if they can disable "Call Forwarding Busy".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I want it to be that smart. ;)

I don't subscribe to call forwarding at all on my cell. Would they still have it set up just for voicemail even though I don't subscribe to it? Can't call to ask right now as looking after a little one who is having be bake pretend biscuits so talking on the phone won't work. LOL

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes, "CF Busy" would be the portion of your voicemail feature that answers on a busy signal. "CF No Answer" is the other portion, which answers after N rings.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so if they can disable this, would it have any negative affects on my cell use? If I'm on my cell, call waiting will kick in for any call that occurs while I'm on the phone. If 2 calls should come in, normally that 2nd call would go to voicemail I assume, but now that would ring busy? If so, that's fine as that would a very rare situation for me. Would it affect my cell in any other way?

My other thought is, any chance it will just ring busy for me when I call home from my cell after disabling this?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well, you'd have to check with your cell provider of course, to find out whether this is even possible, and to confirm what the implications would be, and if there's an easy way to do it (such as star code to enable/disable).

I suspect it might prevent calls from going to VM when your cell is off/dead battery.

·
Shaw Employee
18 Posts
If your cell phone is part of your Simring and is turned off or loses signal when you try calling home it will go to the cell phone VM. The same thing will happen if you are on your cell phone talking and do not have call waiting on your cell. If you have call waiting on cell you will get the call.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Huh, I have simultaneous ring turned on for my cell phone, but I haven't had any problems dialing my house number from the cell - I do it all the time to talk to my wife. Maybe the carrier has something to do with it? I'm on Bell, have call waiting (which never kicks in when I call from cell to house), and voicemail.

·
Shaw Employee
18 Posts
^^ Nothing to do with carrier. It depends on the situation and phone features. If your wife is on the home phone and you have call waiting on it when you call from your cell she will hear the beep and see you are calling. If your home phone does not have call waiting and you have VM it will go straight to VM. If your wife is not on phone and have none of these features it will ring as normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found a solution for this that is working for me. If you sign up for Shaw Friends (free to sign up) one of the benefits you receive is a free distinctive ring number for your home phone. With my cell set up for simultaneous ring, if I call my main home number it just bounces back to my cell voice mail immediately but if I call my new distinctive ring number it just rings my home number until someone answers the home phone (with the added benefit of the distinctive ring so that they know who is calling).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Moon11, that is a great idea! I did sign up for Shaw Friends last week so I will go ahead and get my distinctive ring number. You're a life saver! :D

If your wife is not on phone and have none of these features it will ring as normal.
Wait, this is NOT what happens for me. I am at home right now. I just tried calling my home phone from my cell. My home phone rings about half a ring, then it stops because it's simultaneously trying to ring my cell, but since I am on my cell, it goes directly to voicemail and it asks me for my voicemail password. The exact same thing that happens if I call my own cell number from my cell. The simultaneous ring has basically made it so I am calling my own cell number, which is the same as calling my voicemail.

If you have call waiting on cell you will get the call.
I DO have call waiting on my cell and I do not get a beep with a call from myself...

Huh, I have simultaneous ring turned on for my cell phone, but I haven't had any problems dialing my house number from the cell - I do it all the time to talk to my wife. Maybe the carrier has something to do with it? I'm on Bell, have call waiting (which never kicks in when I call from cell to house), and voicemail.
What happens if you call your own cell number from your phone? Does it go directly to voicemail?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts