Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a simple question. I live in the Vancouver area and wondering if I was able to get an extra modem in the same house and what the cost would be. I heard asking for another modem wouldn't work or you would need to get a separate account. Could I get some clarification on this? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
You will have to pay for two internet accounts, so better off just buying a router.

·
Registered
139 Posts
downbeat you are correct that you can get 2 ip's but that is from 1 modem using a hub to two different computers. ( or devices ) But to use 2 modem you would have to have a second account (paying full price )for the other modem. It would be much cheaper to purchase or rent a router and connect as many devices as you like.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jason4653 is correct, you're allowed up to two ip addresses, but that's for ONE modem. Each modem is a separate account charge.

·
Registered
877 Posts
1 modem using a hub to two different computers.
Just to nitpick, it would be more efficient to use a switch rather than a hub for this purpose. Jason is correct that you can get two IP addresses with a single modem.

However, the person who made the second post gives good advice - it would be simpler to use a router unless there is a really good reason that you need two public IP addresses. With a router, you can have (theoretically) as many computers as you want! (And it will work with Lite speed, it will just be slow.)

m.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts