Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I got this message on my Nokia 2610 "SIM card registration failed", or something like that. I tried to make a call, but some of the buttons didn't work. However, after I turned it off and then on again, everything was fine. This happened a couple of times since then, but the phone worked. This was happening after it was in my pocket for a couple of hours, turned on. Someone I talked to told me this is the beginning of the end and can't be fixed. However, I read somewhere online that cleaning the contacts on the SIM card works, so I took it out and rubbed the contacts with a cloth and it hasn't happened since. Do I have anything to worry about? If the SIM card finally fails and doesn't come back, will Rogers replace it, or will I have to throw away the phone and buy a new one?

·
Registered
103 Posts
SIM card contacts (on the SIM and in the phone) can be a problem, so cleaning is a good first shot at fixing the problem. Assuming if it persists that its the SIM, and not the phone, you can easily get the SIM replaced.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After cleaning the SIM card contacts, the problem didn't return.

BTW, what changes when you get a new SIM card. I presume you lose all your contacts. Do you lose your phone number also?

·
Registered
748 Posts
There would be no issues with your phone number; your carrier would register your new SIM card to your existing account and tel number.

As to losing contacts, if they are stored on the SIM card, now might be a good time to copy a backup. The one SIM card phone I use has an option to save contacts on the phone or the card; I don't know how common this is.
The pros and cons of where to store are many (either can fail) but one that is constant is that a lost phone is also a lost card so it's always a good idea to have a back-up copy somewhere.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
FWIW, the Android smart phones make storing phone numbers on the SIM obsolete. If you have a GMail account, the phone syncs the contact list with it. I added most of the phone numbers I use by copying my address book from Seamonkey to GMail. After doing that, my contacts automagically appeared on my phone. This also makes it a lot easier to add a new contact, as I can do it at any computer that I can use to access my GMail account. Contacts added manually on the phone will also be copied back to the GMail account.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Agree totally. I don't know if the Nokia in the OP is a smart phone or not, but certainly Android and iOS have given consumers the advantage previously available only to Blackberry enterprise customers. Personally, I use Apple's MobileMe to synchronize my contacts, calendar, bookmarks, etc. between my MacBook, iPod and iPad (and probably my iPhone when my contract expires in a few weeks) but this can be done just as easily with Android and Google services and at no cost.

This does serve as a partial back-up solution because if you lose a phone the numbers are still on Gmail or ME. The drawback is that if you accidentally erase a contact or appointment, within seconds it is deleted on all your devices/apps. That can be a real pain. If you have a back-up solution that archives your calendar or contacts at regular intervals (something like Apple's Time Machine) you can still recover the information.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
As I mentioned, I copied my Seamonkey address book, which is my primary source, to GMail, so no single point of failure. Also, you can export the GMail contacts to a file.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if the Nokia in the OP is a smart phone or not
Not so smart. It's a 2610, an entry level free replacement when Rogers went to GSM. It does have what looks like a miniature USB port that's not documented.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Some phones of that generation, such as my Motorola V180, had a modem function, where you could use the phone as a dial up "ATA" modem. The V180 had a mini USB port for that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
^^^^
As I mentioned, I copied my Seamonkey address book, which is my primary source, to GMail, so no single point of failure. Also, you can export the GMail contacts to a file.
Right - the difference between a copying and synching solution. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts