Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Motorola Dext and my wife just got a Blackberry 9700

My wife has decided she would prefer the Dext instead. Can I just swap the SIM cards?

We both have the same voice and data plan.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
the blackberry data plan can work on the dext, but the line currently with the motorola needs the BlackBerry APN for it to work with the BlackBerry Bold 2 9700, not sure if bellus can add the BlackBerry.Net APN just like that like they can for Roger's customers to an existing data plan, otherwise they would need to remove the data plan and add the "BlackBerry" version of it instead, which is not necessarily in every situation the same price, sometimes it could cost more, I do not know this information because I am not familiar with Bellus pricing scheme.

But to clarify, you can use the blackberry data plan on a non-bb and it will work just fine./

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You may want to talk to Bell, as I have heard reports that using a non-BB device on a plamn has sometimes led to pay-per-use data charges. You may be fine either way but it might be a good idea to double-check just in case.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both phones show the apn as pda.bell.ca

How will Bell know the difference?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Data on BlackBerrys gets routed through RIM"s servers and is compressed. I don't understand the details (or if this is how they could tell), but some people have been billed additional fees.

You can keep an eye on this from the Unbilled usage when you log in to your profile on Bell.ca. Yes I realize data is data, but the wireless carriers tend not to see it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts