Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know too much about Satellite Signals, so I was hoping someone can help me to determine which numbers I should look at to determine if I am getting a good signal, and what does each number mean.

I got these numbers when tuned into Channel 299:

N: Signal Power (Tuner 1) 81

Signal (Tuner 1): 94 Ecb/No:108db

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
signal is raw signal strength. Use it for just aiming the dish to get on to the signal

Ecb/No is basically the quality of the data received. Once you get signal, you tweak the dish to get the Ecb/No as high as possible, ideally using an 8PSK transponder.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Signal (Tuner 1): 94 Ecb/No:108db
I presume you mean "+10.8"db.......those numbers sound pretty good. You might be able to improve a little by tweaking the dish, but perhaps not.

I suggest you tune to a SDef channel from the other satellite (Anik F2), e.g. 712 and see what the numbers are there. If they are pretty much the same, I'd leave the dish alone. If you have significantly lower numbers, say +7.0 db on 712, you might consider checking your skew setting and/or tweaking the dish to bring the numbers on 299 & 712 to be more nearly equal.

Keep in mind that the EcbNo's may be somewhat lower on HDef channels than on SDef channels......

Sounds like you're in good shape.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presume you mean "+10.8"db.......those numbers sound pretty good. You might be able to improve a little by tweaking the dish, but perhaps not.

I suggest you tune to a SDef channel from the other satellite (Anik F2), e.g. 712 and see what the numbers are there. If they are pretty much the same, I'd leave the dish alone. If you have significantly lower numbers, say +7.0 db on 712, you might consider checking your skew setting and/or tweaking the dish to bring the numbers on 299 & 712 to be more nearly equal.

Keep in mind that the EcbNo's may be somewhat lower on HDef channels than on SDef channels......

Sounds like you're in good shape.....
Thanks Josh...What would be considered much lower? I haven't had the chance to check 712.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're referring to your signal on 712, which is SDef, I would think you should be able to get at least +9.0 or higher. Signal strength of less than +8.0 in good weather mean you risk losing the signal during stormy weather.

If you're referreing to the HDef signals, I must first admit I have no experience whatever with HDef, but from what I have read, you can expect the EbNo's to be about 2.0db lower on the HDef channels than on the SDef channels.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you're referring to your signal on 712, which is SDef, I would think you should be able to get at least +9.0 or higher. Signal strength of less than +8.0 in good weather mean you risk losing the signal during stormy weather.

If you're referreing to the HDef signals, I must first admit I have no experience whatever with HDef, but from what I have read, you can expect the EbNo's to be about 2.0db lower on the HDef channels than on the SDef channels.
Hi Josh,

Do you have a reference or link to the above statement? I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to troubleshoot some intermittent pixelation that I'm still getting....

I think I may have to trim some of my neighbors tree..... Sigh, I just moved my dish too to a post on the far side of the property, but didn't look straight up.... A couple branches overhanging from my neighbors tree may be blocking the top of the dish.....

I fear that I may only with ShawD for a couple more years.... Trees are getting too dang tall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do you have a reference or link to the above statement
My statement about the EcbNo's comes from largely what I have read on this and other forums, plus my own limited experience. I tried to post a link to the self installation section, "fine tuning the signal" on my equipment vendor's website, but links to commerical sites are not tolerated on this forum.

Obstacles, such as tree branches or roof overhangs, directly above the dish can be a problem. The satellites are somewhat higher in elevation angle than it would appear from looking at a correctly pointed dish. Put another way, one would think the satellites are lower in the sky than they would appear to be when viewing the dish from the side.

However, I have read of, and have experienced myself, a pixelation problem as recently as Saturday on an Anik F2 SDef channel. It happened several times during which I lost the signal (red on the front panel) for a few seconds. Weather, on my end, was not a problem. During one of these outages I flipped immediately to a F1R SDef channel and got green. I've watched some F2 SDef channels on Sunday and today with no problems. So I'm not sure if this is a problem on Shaw's end or what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts