Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since last Friday (July 2), I've had several HD channels going black (Unlocked) or suffering severe macro-blocking, but it changes through the day almost on a schedule. From about 7AM, (when I first turn on the TV) many channels are bad or gone, but they get better as the day goes along until everything is OK by Noon. Looking at my modem stats (192.168.100.1/signal.html), I see the Power Level between 11 and 15 in the morning when things are bad, dropping to 5 or 6 late in the morning and 0 or 1 by Noon. I believe this says that the signal is way too strong in the morning, tapering off through the day to an acceptable level.

I called Rogers on Monday, July 5 and the soonest they can send a tech is this Saturday. I suspect he's just going to drop in an attenuator ahead of my first splitter, since I think 11-15 is too "hot" for the cable modem too, but I'm afraid that might make the signal strength too low on the TV, internet, or home phone.

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what I might have him look for. Any ideas?? Any thoughts on what might be causing this pattern of high then decreasing signal strength, day after day?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Loose or waterlogged connection affected by thermal expansion or moisture -- Rogers tech might retighten the connectors on the outside boxes leading up to your place.

Hot signal level may actually be a separate issue, caused by spiking the signal strength to compensate for hidden loose connection. An attenuator may be needed, but what's important is to also isolate the cause of the fluctuations, which might simply be thermal.

What's important is that they know it's varying throughout the day, and they should find the cause of such massive fluctuations, BEFORE finalizing the attenuation level, so you're neither too hot or too weak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts