Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two DSR505's, a 401 and a DSR205.
For too many reasons to explain, my signal level at the moment is around 72-76, depending on the time of day apparently.
The 505's don't seem to have a problem with this signal level, but the Navigo 401 and the 205 both cut in and cut out, constantly, on most channels (391, CTV news is one of the few that isn't effected).
I realize the 8PSK angle, but don't see why that would effect more than the few channels it's used on - or is it being used on all channels now?
If so, would that be causing the intermittent behavior on the older boxes?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Experiencing the exact same issue here. Both my 505s are fine but my 205 is basically unwatchable on all but a few channels (eg. HGTV).

·
Registered
327 Posts
what kind of signal level do you have? and what about channel 391?
I'm getting around 80 on channel 391 but it's basically unwatchable - cuts out every 10 seconds or so.

I've kinda been oblivious to the 8PSK stuff but I suspected the issues with my old 305 and now my 205 were related to it.

And yes, I think Starchoice is using 8PSK on the majority of their channels now. The number of working channels on my 205 has slowly decreased.

564 still works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There are only a handful of 8PSK SD channels at this point (AUX, PetTV, Bite, CBC Winnipeg, Global Montreal, a few French locals). If you tune to an 8PSK modulated channel on a non 8PSK receiver, you'll get a loss of signal message. There will never be any picture.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe I have seen this too. By cutting in and out, do you mean the screen just goes completely black and then comes back? (no pixelation or anything)

If that's the case, I think your receivers may be dieing. I've had this happen a few times over the years with Star Choice (now Shaw Direct). Moving the receivers to different locations never helped, I always ended up just getting a new receiver.

I've had it happen to 2 receivers so far, and I have a 3rd (model 305) which appears to be starting to go as well.

I would try your receivers in different locations just to see if the problem follows. If it does, it's likely the receiver. If it doesn't, it's probably a problem with the line, lnb, or multiswitch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The 505's don't seem to have a problem with this signal level, but the Navigo 401 and the 205 both cut in and cut out, constantly, on most channels (391, CTV news is one of the few that isn't effected).
Hi tvmaster,

What you're describing isn't normal. There is a technical issue either at your location, or with the receiver itself. Here's the easy way to diagnose:

Take the 401 and 205 and hook it up where the 505 is connected. Connect it to the Satellite line usually connected to the 505, and connect it to that TV (you might have to use SD cables).

If the 401 and 205 work properly with no issues (make sure you give it a bit of time), the problem is with the line connected to the 401/205. Call us to book a service call.

If the 401/205 continue to have intermittent signal at the known good location, the problem is with the receiver. Give us a call, the TSR may have you do a Factory Reset or may just replace the receiver. As long as you have more than 1 receiver on your account, you're covered by a lifetime warranty and will only pay a bit of shipping to replace it.

Alternately, you can move the 505 to where the 401/205 are connected. If the 505 works fine, you've proven the lines are good and the 401/205 are bad. If the 505 has intermittent signal, you've proven the line is bad.

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
301 Posts
There are only a handful of 8PSK SD channels at this point (AUX, PetTV, Bite, CBC Winnipeg, Global Montreal, a few French locals). If you tune to an 8PSK modulated channel on a non 8PSK receiver, you'll get a loss of signal message. There will never be any picture.
TJ77 is correct in that 8PSK shouldn't have any impact on intermittent signal.

Legacy receivers (including 401, 205, and 305) are not able to tune to 8PSK channels. You will basically stay on the current channel if you try to tune to an 8PSK channel.

207 and 317 receivers will tune to 8PSK channels, but will provide the red light and "Acquiring satellite signal" message.

One correction to the above - It's actually CBC Regina and SRC Winnipeg that are 8PSK, along with the above mentioned channels! ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I posted in another thread about what my experience has been with a 305 and a 205. Both slowly began losing watchable channels due to interimittent breakup of varying degrees depending on the channels. The breakup was indeed reflected in the signal stength as it fluctuated wildly from low 20s to high 70s/low 80s.

Certain channels were perfectly fine and never broke-up - other channels were basically black with a brief video frame making it through every so often.

I tested both receivers on the same dish cable my 505 was receiving - the 505 having no issues whatsover; the break-up issues continued the same however with the 205/305.

I've since completely replaced my 305 with another 505 and I'm on the verge of doing the same with my 205.

While I haven't "gone around the dial" testing every channel with my 205 - I can say the vast majority are completely unwatchable; only the odd one like 564 (HGTV) is okay but even it is starting to hiccup on occasion.

There's been a clear deterioration over time - less and less watchable channels. Interestingly on the 305 - for whatever weird reason - the breakup issues seem to have been reduced somewhat when the onscreen banner overlay was present or any other overlay.

On another note - anyone know if the 505 can output an RF signal, a component signal and a DVI signal simultaneously? I'm looking to tether three TVs to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts