Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks in advance for reading

so i have two HD boxes. THe rogers 3250 and 4250.

I have a line from the rogers box outside my house split. Both these boxes work flawless on one line but not the other.

Not sure whats going on here. THe lines are new and clean. but i keep getting channel 993+. Rogers said its a signal issue.

Would a booster work?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's probably a bad line and Rogers should/will fix the problem.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If Rogers installed the cable, they should fix it. It might be something as simple as a bad connection/termination or it could be a bad or damaged piece of coax.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
you can easily check the signal strength at each location and do a comparison to see what signal each box is getting. Obviously, if you have some kind of weak signal strength, it would indicate a wiring problem, or a bad splitter, too many splitters, or a hidden split or junction point behind the wall. These are very common issues for bad signal at one location.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If they both work on 1 line at the same time, you had to use a splitter to do that, if the outside line is split, ether the splitter may be damaged, giving more of a drop then it needs to, or the cable / connector on the 2nd line is bad, and needs to be replaced. Have a cable tech come out and use their $200 digital signal tester on the line.

4 splits should not need a booster for cable, more then that would may need it, Im running 6 splits and it seems time for one. Look for one marked digital, as it will be able to pass a signal in both directions, (normally for PPV) Analog boosters only boost in 1 direction, and block the return signal, Also in boosters inject noise into the line.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Rogers will add the appropriate amp for anyone requiring it. If you're not getting a proper signal at a STB, then a call to Rogers is the appropriate course of action since they'll check the signal into the home and at each STB/connection.

Amps need to be rated 5-1000 MHz minimum and bidirectional (good ones are not cheap), but why buy one when Rogers will supply it if necessary and check all your outlets.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 SA FAQ

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Useful post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts