Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got eastlink bundle with HD PRV 160 gig unit supplied by eastlink not sure of the model
I have a Samsung 46 inch LCD 1080P TV, a Yamaha 1800 receiver.
Used to have Bell and before that Star Choice (Shaw Direct).
I even went through a period of time that I only had internet through eastlink, and just ran the cable straight into my TV, I did get a few channels.
I have never had such a different mix of signals with this HD receiver. HD channels are the most annoying some commercials come in at 4:3, some 720p, some 16:9 but doesn’t fill the screen.
I never had to use the wide screen mode on my TV with Bell (basic receiver not HD), went into my Yamaha receiver and then to my TV through a HDMI cable. All the channels and commercials were displayed the same (filled the entire screen)
Even using the stretch mode with the eastlink HD receiver, viewing some commercials and or changing channels are still displayed in 4:3. I have done the power off, press menu and set the 4:3 over ride to stretch.
Which is a question, shouldn’t the settings on the eastlink HD receiver stay as you set them unless you put it back to factory default?
Every Time the unit is powered off , I have to go back and set the 4:3 to stretch using press menu and set the 4:3 override to stretch.

I don’t know if I am expecting too much with eastlink HD, or if there is some setting on I am missing, It doesn’t make sense that I have to keep my finger on the picture mode button on my TV remote?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Set the PVR 4:3 override to 480i and have the TV do the stretch. If the TV doesn't accept 480i via HDMI, or if the PVR "forgets" the settings, then you may need to use component video connection. The reason that the PVR changes the settings when it's powered down is because they've been building the firmware to automatically detect which TV you have via HDMI and set things accordingly

Here's the FAQ on HDMI Issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

Similar discussion over at Shaw:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=109226

Since you have an LCD, there's no reason to stretch 4:3 images - it only causes distortion and gives you poorer picture quality. Why not simply watch 4:3 as 4:3 and 16:9 as 16:9?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links

I did try to set the PVR to 480i, TV went into melt down; unsupported mode :eek:
Ill do component video to my reciever.
I guess I just perfer a full screen when watching TV. I will mostly stick to the HD channels anyway. It will take time; ill adjust as I experiment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts