Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two days I have been experiencing sidgnal drops on Telus TV (Optik), OK for about five minutes then drops for about a minute. I have done all the reboots and restarts about five times. Internet is not affected.
Any pointers?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
It's hard to say what the source of your problem is. You've had signal drops for 2 days - was it working properly before that? What are the symptoms (black screen or a message)? Does it happen on all channels, HD and SD? Does it happen on more than 1 TV?

If you are using HDMI, you can try using a component cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All three TVs are affected. Black screen with signal lost message and Telus numbers to contact. stays off for about 1 minute. Started on Monday. No prior problems.
TVs come on at slightly different times (few seconds apart).

·
Super Moderator
17,496 Posts
If there is a message coming up with Telus phone numbers and it's happening to all TVs at the the same time, then it sounds like a problem with the feed coming from Telus. Sounds like the best bet would be to call them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contacted Telus twice on Monday. Soonest appointment is Friday. Today, the problems seems to have vanished. Symptoms are consistent with feed problem as signal loss to TVs is at the same time.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have been having this same issue since this morning ... i turn on tv or change channel on any stb in my house, program can be viewed for approx 30 secs then it freezes, and message comes up television signal has been lost, view other programming or call 310-mytv, then next black screen saying television signal lost. I have power cycled the router and unplugged power and coax cables from each stb but same problem every time... It does the same on every stb in my house. you can press guide, change the channel and then 30 secs later... same message ... ugh hockey game on tonite guess im going out, telus wait time is 1 hr on phone and the chat support has been waiting for a customer rep for 30 mins now. the last tech that came to my house gave me his card, should i just call him direct???

·
Registered
458 Posts
anyone figure out what the problem was? did it go away on its own or did Telus have to come out to diagnose the problem?

it has started happening to me. Just as kesler17 .. some times it freezes and comes back. most times screen goes black with the call telus message on top. then the signal lost message. in around 20seconds it comes back.

i tried resetting everything but has not helped. only 1 tv and nothing has changed equipment or cable wise on my end. been running fine for months.

just happened again. picture froze. then like above. Actiontec lights look fine during signal lost and i can open web pages so internet not going off as well. grrrr

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well its now Saturday morning. spent the last 2hrs on hold with Telus. they just disconnected me. for the last 2hrs i have been having freeze ups and signal lost messages must be atleast 40x in the last 2 hrs.

The funny thing is that when the signal lost message is up and i have a black screen i can use the guide and in the picture in picture window i can see moving pictures from other stations. i can switch to that station and it comes up and i can switch back to the original "lost" station and it come up.

Sigh. very frustrating. In the last 1.5 yrs i have had optik i have had more problems with signal than i had in over 10yrs with Shaw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where are you in Vancouver?
I am on the East side and plan on getting Optik but this is not very encouraging if the service is not up to speed.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
East Vancouver as well. near Chinatown.

it has been working fine for months now. For the most part i am happy with Telus. I usually get on to the online chat support pretty fast but not this morning. Been home for about 30min now and so far so good. dont want to jinx if but so far its working as it should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whizzard: I had the same problem here in Calgary. Telus finally sent out a technician and he just replaced my router and modem with a new 2 in 1 router/modem, and everything is working great now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am having this issue of signal drop on just one of my three boxes, which means the cable running to that particular box is likely faulty. I called Telus and I was told that they were aware of the problem and they expect to have a firmware update in November to fix this issue. I personally think I have a wiring issue, but it is interesting to note that they do have a network related issue that they hope to fix.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Update:

Yesterday I power cycled the modem and then all of the boxes so fix "synchronization" problem claimed to be cause of my issues. After the power cycling, the live pictures seemed just fine on the box. Then I tried to play a recording and the box will play some of the recording then start freezing and then eventually asked me to check if the box was connected to the PVR. Once the freezing on the recording started then live pictures also started freezing.

Called Telus again. This time they told me that they could see that there were "fatal errors" being reported on that particular box and it is not likely to be a cable problem. This was my third call to Telus, so I was wondering why the other two techs did not notice the errors.

The matter was elevated and the next rep reset all of the boxes one by on, only to have the problem persist.

Finally, the rep concluded the box must be replaced. We shall see.

·
Registered
458 Posts
update:
well after a 2nd weekend of reception hell. same as outlined above. Friday-Sat-Sun. constant picture freezes/pauses/and many "lost signal" messages. I emailed the Telus tech with the report. (was decided to see how it goes over the weekend) Was fine monday night and this morning. So odd it seems to only occur on weekends. seems fine during the week. is why i decided to see how the weekend went.

got a call from the rushman at 1130 and i headed home to meet him. He did some stuff at the corner box and with someone he spoke with over the phone. he changed out my actiontec and updated the firmware he said just recently came out. And he gave me a new Cis430. so we shall see how it goes from here.

sure has been rocky in my 15months with Optik. and honestly if i knew then what i know now i probably would not have switched. (from Shaw)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts