Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm just doing some preliminary investigation for an issue. I'm not well versed in cable stuff, so please bear with me. I`ve lurked a bit, and figured I toss this one out there.

My house is about 25 years old. I have cable that goes into the basement, and from there it splits into two lines: one to 2nd floor; the other to the main floor. The one to the main floor goes into a splitter via a really thin coax cable, and then to my SD box and cable modem. On occassion, I lose the digital signal to both my cable modem and my SD box. When that happens, I lose my internet. For TV, I lose some time shifting channels (noticeably FairchildTV out west, and some other ones not in Ontario). I still retain the other channels. If I disconnect the cable from the splitter, leave it for a few seconds, and then plug it back in, I regain the signal and get back internet and the other stations. Then I might have a consistent signal for a few minutes or a few days or weeks. If I directly connect my cable line from the wall into the SD box, it's fine.

It's so sporatic that I'm not entirely justified in wasting a tech's time, but it's a bit irritating :)

I was going to attack the splitter first, and then look at cabling. The cables are a different story because whoever installed the outlet made some connection behind the wall and just has wire coming out of the wall with a connector. Is there anything else I may have missed?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Hello GapBoyPCS

first things first, your house is wired incorrectly. The really thin wire that you see is probaly RG59, not suitable for cable modem or digital cable channels over 500 mhz.

Ideally you should have a main splitter at the entrance point, from here a dedicated run to your cable modem. Then the other side of the splitter will go into a 2-way splitter and go into both existing tv outlets. this will ensure you get the same level of signals coming into both STB's and your modem will have the strongest signal, so the modem will have a proper upsteeam

the dedicated runs should be a minimum of RG6 grade cable. it also looks like you might have some signal leakage issue, since it is happening sparodically. inferior cables and splitters can be subject to ingress which will cause this sparatically.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Losing low frequencies (like the modem or analog channel 2) is usually due to a bad connection. There may be some corrosion/oxidation issues or poor quality connectors. Loss of high frequencies is usually due to poor quality cable (RG59 instead of RG6) or poor quality splitters. Sounds like the whole thing needs to be rewired. Rogers may charge to do it or not. Make sure up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts