Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got hooked up to Telus Mediaroom a month ago, and I went out and bought a brand new Dynex 22" LCD for the bedroom. Occasionally - usually atleast once every time we have it on, the screen goes black and the sound cuts out for a second (literally). Then the little box that indicates we have it hooked up through component comes on and the programming resumes.

I phoned Best Buy today and they said it's probably the signal being dropped and that it's a well known, very common occurrence with newer tv's as they are more sensitive. However it never happens with our LG 32" (approx 2 years old). It's just over the 30 day mark on our purchase, so if you can tell me if you think this is signal drop or not, I might still have a slim chance in getting it right with Best Buy.

Thanks for your help:)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Just to clarify, you took your LG to the same bedroom as the Dynex and connected it exactly the same from the same Mediaroom box with the very same component cables? With a direct swapout comparison like that you could easily start a warranty claim if only the Dynex has the dropouts. If both TVs do it from that specific location, using the same Mediaroom box and cables, then the problem is not with your TVs but likely with the Telus Mediaroom box or the Mediaroom service itself.
it's a well known, very common occurrence with newer tv's as they are more sensitive
Best Buy's phone staffer just made that up. :rolleyes: If it was widespread there would be a huge revolt from TV buyers, wouldn't there? Ignore that nonsense.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The Best Buy employee is either extremely stupid or lying.

Having said that, the problem may not be the TV but Mediaroom. Did you use your old TV with Telus for a significant period of time or did you just start using the new tv with Telus?

If not, hook your old tv back up to see if you get the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, we did not hook up the LG to that location. My AR hubby would never go for that! :rolleyes: Our old TV was a CRT and it ran at that box for about a month with no issue. From what you seem to be indicating is that I've been taken for a bit of a ride and I'd better get that set back to BB toot sweet. :eek:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
All I'm saying is that you need to test that connection properly with both TVs so that you can help us to help you diagnose the problem better. Don't make any assumptions until you do that. Tell your hubby that it is better to be a happy AR husband than one with lousy TV issues! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not being flip, but I just ain't going there with the LG. It would be way easier and less nerve wracking trying to get a replacement set with BB:eek:. Anyways, if I'm reading you right the CRT working at that location means nothing as we want to compare apples to apples. Also, don't know if it makes any difference, but we have 6 tv's hooked up to the system (2 LCD, 4 CRT) and this is the only issue. I'll just try to exchange the set with a new one and see if that helps.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
It is a plain, simple, logical test. If you aren't going to do that then good luck but I'll just excuse myself now. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I replaced the tv with another of the same model, and it happened again. It seems to happen when the system has been on for 20-30 min. Could it have anything to do with the STB adapter, which seems to get pretty warm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we may have narrowed down the problem somewhat. We noticed that when we turned off our table fan we could recreate the tv problem. When I moved the fan to an outlet close by, but on a different line I couldn't reproduce the issue. We also got the problem to happen when we unplugged and replugged our DVD player. We tried a lower end power bar with protection, but this did not help. Any thoughts where to go next?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It's pretty difficult to make suggestions when you are unwilling to try the most obvious ones.

Since the problem occurs when other electrical devices are is plugged in, it would suggest an electrical problem. With "6 tv's hooked up to the system (2 LCD, 4 CRT)", you likely are overloaded.

My advice is to consult with an electrician

1 - 10 of 10 Posts