Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
4441 - 4453 of 4453 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't know your setup but the RCA Preamp you have has really bad reviews which is why I didn't buy it.
Most stem from a faulty power supply that was addressed about a year ago. Great thing about Amazon is their return policy... doesn't work well - return it for a refund.

Are you not having issues with a (2 of them) more expensive, name brand Amp?

I personally think the days of an old school Channel Master amp lasting 20 years are done... but that's just me.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
A lot of it depends on antenna designs and installation procedures. Folded dipole antenna designs did a great job of grounding to the tower or mast. With open ended whiskers and elements, the shortest path to ground could be through the preamp. The tower and mast needs to be well grounded as well. Depending on just a grounding block on the coax could make the shortest path for the entire mast through the preamp and coax.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes you have a point. Foolish for me to think you get what you pay for. Sometimes this isn't the case. I will see if the new preamp makes a difference.
Different makes and models are probably made in the same factory in Asia, then different labels put on them. Paying 3x more doesn't always guarantee better quality.

I would double check your Grounding procedures to see if there is a problem.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Different makes and models are probably made in the same factory in Asia, then different labels put on them.
That may be true in many cases, often for rebranded generic designs. Even if made in the same factory, major name brand products will often be designed and built to unique specs for vendors. (Apple smartphones are the most prominent example.) Even products that look identical on the outside may have different designs, specs and grades of components internally. I highly doubt that Channel Master designs would be used by a reputable manufacturer for other brands. It would violate too many copyrights and put the manufacturer's reputation and business at risk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just letting others know that my Televes 560383 Single Input Antenna Preamp with Built in LTE Filter and AGC is working well. (much better than the juice amp)
I figured with AGC it would not overpower some of the stronger signals (or amplify the noise) but that is not the case.
I have to use a Channel Master variable attenuator.

With the attenuator turned up (decreasing the signal strength), most stations are watchable, most of the time.
(A lot better than the Juice amp). I am guessing in my area the juice amp was too powerful for what I need.
I do like the 2nd TV output from the Televes, allows me to connect a second TV in the basement where the power supply is, not noticing any difference in signal strength or quality.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just letting others know that my Televes 560383 Single Input Antenna Preamp with Built in LTE Filter and AGC is working well. (much better than the juice amp)
I figured with AGC it would not overpower some of the stronger signals (or amplify the noise) but that is not the case.
I have to use a Channel Master variable attenuator.

With the attenuator turned up (decreasing the signal strength), most stations are watchable, most of the time.
(A lot better than the Juice amp). I am guessing in my area the juice amp was too powerful for what I need.
I do like the 2nd TV output from the Televes, allows me to connect a second TV in the basement where the power supply is, not noticing any difference in signal strength or quality.
Don't remember your analysis but you probably have strong signals interfering, which makes a preamp a little tricky. If you wanted a lower power preamp, why not the CM 7778 which works so well for most suburban/non-fringe people, for $79? Some just jump on the 'fringe' high power preamp and think they've solved all their issues.

The Televes is supposed to have variable gain so an attenuator shouldn't be necessary... but I have no experience with this model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you wanted a lower power preamp, why not the CM 7778 which works so well for most suburban/non-fringe people, for $79?
They are not available anywhere, I guess there is a shortage?
The Televes is supposed to have variable gain so an attenuator shouldn't be necessary... but I have no experience with this model.
It shouldn't but in my area if I don't use the preamp, the signal is really low on some far away stations (a little too low most of the time).
The preamp just brings the signal up enough so it does not cut out.

I have tried all scenarios, it's better with the preamp and the variable attenuator.
If the signal cuts out I just turn down the attenuator (raising the signal). I can go for days without having to touch the attenuator.
It's mainly for the Buffalo stations.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I personally think the days of an old school Channel Master amp lasting 20 years are done... but that's just me.
I believe that to be true. I have a couple of CM7778 preamps that have done faithful service up on an ungrounded mast on my deck and they have survived some nearby lightening strikes without skipping a beat.
Those preamps are now 17 years old. I doubt the new preamps are as robust as those old 7series.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone compared the common Channel Master distribution amp (Ultra Mini 2, 4, or 8) with the newer/improved (?) antenna booster (TV Antenna Booster 2 or 4)? The Boosters are about $10, more. I've been using the CM distribution amps for years, and never an issue really except for the odd times my VHFs struggle to come in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone compared the common Channel Master distribution amp (Ultra Mini 2, 4, or 8) with the newer/improved (?) antenna booster (TV Antenna Booster 2 or 4)? The Boosters are about $10, more. I've been using the CM distribution amps for years, and never an issue really except for the odd times my VHFs struggle to come in.

Well, I see that nobody has answered you, nor do I have an answer. Interestingly, I've never had to use a distribution amp simply because I amplify at the antenna. I'm sure if you have more than two TVs, there's a possibility your antenna preamp may not be able to get enough signal to those TVs. Cable length seems to be the main factor in most cases along with number of TV sets and Splitters Etc.

I'm sure you've read all the downside of noise amplification Etc... which is the best reason to amplify at the antenna and not down the line inside the house.

I like the Kitztech KT-200, KT-700 and the Televes 560483. Sadly I pretty much stopped all my preamp testing because I have built-in preamps on my Televes antennas or devices like SmartKom that virtually eliminate the need for any type of standalone antenna preamp.

4441 - 4453 of 4453 Posts