Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

4381 - 4399 of 4399 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Separate amps for UHF and VHF.

The KT-700 has a peak gain of 23 dB UHF but is does vary from 21.84 dB at 600mhz and 22.75 dB at 475 mHz

VHF, KT-700 is 25 dB peak gain.

Noise specs:

".95 dB on VHF and 1.35 dB on UHF but we still might make some improvements on that."

Any extra filtering like LTE will add to the noise figure. FM trap included
I don't need a new preamp. But what ya should be asking for is what is the iip3? eg - the maximum of two or more strong input signals without causing intermod distortion at the output. Absent Specs from the mfr, maybe you can do some testing of your own in strong signal areas to get an idea.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
eg - Unless it is significantly better in that regard than what a user is currently using, there really isn't any point in that user switching, just because it's something new.

·
Registered
46 Posts
eg - Unless it is significantly better in that regard than what a user is currently using, there really isn't any point in that user switching, just because it's something new.
Ground control to Major Tom... I couldn't resist!

The purpose of my post is only to let others know there is another choice. And a very good choice. Kitz Technologies is quality oriented . From what I understand the pricing will be as good or better than the Channel Master amplify Plus.

RCA PREAMP1R no longer available.

For the life of me I don't understand why Channel Master has the supply problems but they couldn't have it at worst time when more and more people are cutting the cord because of covid-19 affecting thier finances.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
@Gentleman
Your antenna is grounded via the coax cable most likely through the equipment its connected to. That is certainly not the way to do it. You have been extremely lucky so far!

·
Registered
642 Posts
@Gentleman
Your antenna is grounded via the coax cable most likely through the equipment its connected to. That is certainly not the way to do it. You have been extremely lucky so far!
No amount of grounding will prevent a direct lightning strike. As ExDilbert mentioned, grounding only serves to protect the occupants of the dwelling. If a grounded antenna system gets struck by lightning, it is highly doubtful any downstream connected equipment would survive.

Similarly, my home has a complete metal roof that is not grounded. I'm thinking that might be more of a risk than my antenna mast?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Could be wrong (not an electrician) but...
As long as there is something more attractive that IS grounded nearby I am sure it's fine.
Around here there's a 1000'+ tower not far away,

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Don't rely on the 1000' tower to protect you! A number of years ago my next door neighbour had lightening hit the ground in his back yard. Next door the TV tower was not hit. Go figure?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I don't. My antenna system and satellite dishes are grounded...
I have seen that tower when it gets tickled by just the static in the air with approaching storms... Pretty Cool..

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The CN tower is fun to watch during lightening events. Grounding antennas and towers is necessary. All my ham, OTA and sat stuff is grounded. But IMHO when you ground something, it in effect becomes a lighening rod! Lightening prefers a low resitance path to ground. So maybe not grounding will discourage lightening?

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Got to wonder why it's worth US$19. It looks like CM is adopting the Monster Cables/Radio Shack pricing model. I've seen cheaper versions for as little as $1. They were basically just a resistor in a closed ended coax connector. Whether they were 75 ohms at all frequencies is another issue. The DC issue can be fixed with a DC isolator which is basically just a capacitor in a M/F coax coupling.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If CM is so concerned about stray RF sneaking into open ports then wouldn't just a metal cap over the port prevent the leaking in issue? I have a bunch of 75 ohm terminators which only cost CDN $1.00.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
It's not just about leakage. I doubt there is much from an uncapped connector anyway. It's about providing a 75 ohm impedance termination to prevent unwanted side effects due to an unterminated input or output.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
We're drifting off topic here. Briefly however, signal leakage is detectable from live cable TV coax that is not terminated. This isn't necessarily an issue for OTA TV, as the same RF is already in use over the air--unlike cable systems where interference with licensed transmitters can happen. It is always good practice to terminate open ports on splitters and amps, even for OTA. Though I would never recommend using such an expensive terminator.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got to wonder why it's worth US$19. It looks like CM is adopting the Monster Cables/Radio Shack pricing model. I've seen cheaper versions for as little as $1. They were basically just a resistor in a closed ended coax connector. Whether they were 75 ohms at all frequencies is another issue. The DC issue can be fixed with a DC isolator which is basically just a capacitor in a M/F coax coupling.
I honestly believe Channel Master is doing a test to see just how dumb people are. And if they find enough dumb people , they can make a hell of a lot of money.

I bought a bag of those Terminators for like $5. I think there was 20 terminators in the bag. A quick search on Amazon shows can you buy them cheap still

·
Registered
224 Posts
I honestly believe Channel Master is doing a test to see just how dumb people are. And if they find enough dumb people , they can make a hell of a lot of money.
Lol! If I was looking for a calibrated 75 ohm load for my VNA, I might consider paying that kind of money.

On second thought, I think I would just solder two 150 ohm 0805 resistors on a male plug and call it a day...

4381 - 4399 of 4399 Posts