Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

4361 - 4380 of 4407 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
R3T 3N8

I'm assuming you're speaking of TVFool? I've read that and it's 58 miles from here. My antenna is up to 60 miles. I know it would never get that far but I figure if I maybe purchase a booster or something it may help.
Thank you for the postal code. Here is your report from TVFool:
TV Fool

TVFool has been our favorite, but their database for generating reports now has many errors and they haven't even renewed the certificate for their site. We are now also using rabbitears.info for reports:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
your report:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=67365

My antenna is up to 60 miles. I know it would never get that far but I figure if I maybe purchase a booster or something it may help.
Don't take the antenna mileage figures too seriously, they are just a marketing tool. What counts is the strength of the signal that arrives at the antenna.

Your antenna is primarily for UHF signals, real RF channels 14-51, but it does have a simple dipole for VHF-High channels 7-13. It might not have enough gain for KNRR on real channel 12. You might need something like the Stellar Labs 30-2475 for KNRR:
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141

Your location is a little better than the example location above. I think I see your building, but I'm concerned about your location in the building. If your balcony faces SW, your chances are good; if it faces NE, reception of KNRR will be difficult.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks rabbit73. It's funny cause I was looking at that exact antenna and the exact same site last week. LOL.

Now here is my biggest concern/fear. I've always felt because of my metal guard railings that they've affected my antenna. Then again it never really affected my Bell dish so.... eh. Thanks again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been doing some testing lately on the news Kitz Technologies preamp. The KT 700 is a VHF / UHF combiner..

I've been testing it for a couple of weeks and it's almost ready for production so I thought you guys would the interested seeing how the RCA PREAMP1R is no longer produced in the Channel Master 7778 dual input amp seems to have disappeared with no scheduled date for delivery. Here's a preview. If you are interested I can give you more details.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone tested the new Channel Master Amplify+ CM 7778HD? They seem to be a hot commodity as they are out of stock again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone tested the new Channel Master Amplify+ CM 7778HD? They seem to be a hot commodity as they are out of stock again.
They haven't been in stock for a long time. I tried to get one for several months. Rumor has it it's more about quality control problems problem since they move their factories out of China . Channel Master is on a down slide right now . I've been waiting for 9521 HD for 6 months now . They can't come up with one . I called Channel Master and they put me on "the list"

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So why buy CM? There are other options out there.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
chiwaukee, maybe try and keep track how many thunderstorms the device survives up there.
If I am thinking of the same guy..My understanding of the older devices was they were quite sensitive to getting destroyed from static...

·
Registered
65 Posts
chiwaukee, maybe try and keep track how many thunderstorms the device survives up there.
If I am thinking of the same guy..My understanding of the older devices was they were quite sensitive to getting destroyed from static...
Hi Major Tom!

It would be cool if you called me "Ground Control" :) Some won't get that...

Ok, I will, I don't know that they are that susceptible to static. The Aluminum case should help, but I think they are pretty rugged. Mine fell two stories off my roof. Still using it.

Calaveras had some issues but he found some grounding issues..

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
These are the posts that got me thinking about it...
But looking, that was the Research Communication preamp, not the kitz...
Still worth keeping track of...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jeez, that research Communications preamp is a mess inside! The Kitz amp is so much cleaner.

I didn't take photos of the other side of the board because I didn't want to take it apart that far . I know there's electronics on the other side .

Oh, and I asked Jeff about lightning. He has about five returns a year and can't attribute the damage to lightning. But he did state that anything that lightning hits is going to be damaged. And yes , he does have lightning protection.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It doesn't have to be a direct lightening hit to do damage. As mentioned, static will do damage and a nearby hit can induce voltages and cause damage. Grounding helps but usually a direct hit is fatal to equipment.

Reactions: Gentleman

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've been doing some testing lately on the news Kitz Technologies preamp. The KT 700 is a VHF / UHF combiner..

I've been testing it for a couple of weeks and it's almost ready for production so I thought you guys would the interested seeing how the RCA PREAMP1R is no longer produced in the Channel Master 7778 dual input amp seems to have disappeared with no scheduled date for delivery. Here's a preview. If you are interested I can give you more details.
Awesome news about the KT-700! What are the gain/noise specs? I have the KT-200 and love it, it's very quiet. I'll definitely pick up the KT-700 when it's ready, especially since my old-style dual input CM7777 has been acting up lately.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It doesn't have to be a direct lightening hit to do damage. As mentioned, static will do damage and a nearby hit can induce voltages and cause damage. Grounding helps but usually a direct hit is fatal to equipment.
That's why I prefer CM. I have 2 old vintage CM 7778's with dual inputs in service now nearly 14 years, up on a 20' mast that sits on my back deck. The system has never been grounded and has fared nicely through some nasty electrical storms.
No preamp will survive a direct lightning strike, but I've found some makes, are more robust from nearby lightning strikes and power line surges.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awesome news about the KT-700! What are the gain/noise specs? I have the KT-200 and love it, it's very quiet. I'll definitely pick up the KT-700 when it's ready, especially since my old-style dual input CM7777 has been acting up lately.
Separate amps for UHF and VHF.

The KT-700 has a peak gain of 23 dB UHF but is does vary from 21.84 dB at 600mhz and 22.75 dB at 475 mHz

VHF, KT-700 is 25 dB peak gain.

Noise specs:

".95 dB on VHF and 1.35 dB on UHF but we still might make some improvements on that."

Any extra filtering like LTE will add to the noise figure. FM trap included

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's why I prefer CM. I have 2 old vintage CM 7778's with dual inputs in service now nearly 14 years, up on a 20' mast that sits on my back deck. The system has never been grounded and has fared nicely through some nasty electrical storms.
No preamp will survive a direct lightning strike, but I've found some makes, are more robust from nearby lightning strikes and power line surges.
Wow you survived all this time without grounding? I always wonder if I'm using a thick enough ground cable and I'm always checking the ground points for corrosion Etc.

The point about the Kitz KT 700 it is very well-built has a good metal case and just coincidence seems to be the only dual input preamp available these days. The new Channel Master 7778HD combining app is simply not available. + noise is it consideration the older Channel Master preamp although strong were still noisy:

CM7777 as a noise figure of 4.5-5 on vhf and maybe 3 on uhf

So yeah, it's awesome you have a product that lasted so many years, probably because it was built before these days of the throw away Chinese built garbage for sale on price point and bastardization of a good name like Channel Master.

At least, Kitz is American made 🇺🇲 very close to Canada 🇨🇦!

I'd love to see Channel Master do right but they just seem to keep digging a deeper hole for themselves. Reliability issues come to mind.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Wow you survived all this time without grounding?
Literally. Grounding is not designed to protect preamps or even TVs. It's designed to protect the lives of the people in the building. The fact that the antenna is only 20' off the deck probably helps but an ungrounded antenna is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for the KT-700 specs Chiwaukee, I'm looking forward to buying one when they go up for sale.

4361 - 4380 of 4407 Posts