Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a Sigma EX DG 50mm Macro Lens for my T2i Canon Camera. It works great and came with a lens hood. I have found that with the lens hood on there is no way to reattach the original lens cover.
Are the shipped lens hood and lens cover not compatible? Do I need to buy something else to use them together?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Doug,

I'm not familiar with that lens but reviews on PhotoZone and other sites suggest you have a very nice piece of glass.

The lens hood, it appears is a screw in so using a polarizer may be difficult as well. It appears from some images that the front of the lens hood might be threaded so if the inside diameter of the hood is a standard size (e.g 67 or 72 mm) you might be able to get a cap that will fit on the end of the hood or a rubber lens cap that is designed to slip over the end of a lens might work.

If your worried about protecting the front element (which the hood should do in most cases) then screwing a 55mm clear "protector" filter on the end of the lens then screwing the hood in to that might help also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I got an email back from Sigma Corp that confirmed my observation that you can't use the supplied lens cap and the hood at the same time.

As you said, a 72mm cap on the hood works just fine.
I may a uv filter just to protect the lens as well.
Photozone is correct though, its a very nice lens. I've been very pleased with it.

Doug

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would avoid putting a filter on your lens - putting a cheap piece of glass on top of high quality optics has never seemed right to me. But there is a lot of debate on this point.

I think with the lens hood in place, your lens is getting adequate protection against bumps, etc. Are you shooting a lot out doors, walking around ? Is this why you are concerned enough to want to put a lens cap between shots?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, not a cheap piece of glass, I usually buy higher quality filters. And I am using this lens mostly outdoors.
I have always put on a basic uv filter if nothing else. Once I dropped my camera and the filter took the full impact and saved the lens.
You may have a point though since I will leave the hood full time.

There must be a discussion somewhere pro and con about using filters (uv, neutral etc) as lens protection.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There must be a discussion somewhere pro and con about using filters (uv, neutral etc) as lens protection.
There is a lot of discussions on this topic. The feeling among some is that any event that would damage the lens would likely not be avoided with a filter. (Your experience is different).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts