Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have for several months watched a particular show on my HDPVR on HDABC (Channel 522). I noticed at the beginning of this week that a CITY TV logo has appeared at the bottom of the screen indicating that CITY is now carrying this show (I guesss that bumps ABC from showing their ads).
Every day this week I watched my recording ......it is in SD (not HD). I also had my wife look at CITY TV's own HD channel (519) and it was also broadcasting in SD.
Who would I speak to about this issue ?
CITY or Rogers ?
And,what number or Dept would I ask for ?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
This is a simsubbing issue which has been discussed no end on this forum. If Rogers is simsubbing an SD programme over an HD one, they are in violation of simsubbing rules and you need to give Rogers a call and ask them to stop. Additional instructions in the following thread, post 1:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58228

Note that for reruns, both may be showing SD...

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
you have to know for sure if the us network is airing it in true hd or pillerboxed sd. maybe you need to confirm with someone who can tune in an OTV signal with their antenna and check for you, only takes 2 minutes, and then write to rogers and find out why they are violating it, i would also write to City TV, which is also owned by rogers as well and ask them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What show are you talking about? If we know the show maybe someone with an OTA feed can let you know if the US feed is SD for some reason or if indeed Rogers is simsubbing an SD feed over an HD one. CITY should be able to get the US HD feed so the substition should be allowed but if for a technical reason they couldn't one day it is not surprising that the simsub would go ahead anyway. If the problem persists I'd call CITY and ask them why they don't air the HD version.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
you need to give Rogers a call and ask them to stop
Well CITY TV is Rogers so...

My advice is to confirm the original show is in HD and the contact both. City TV should not be allowed to ask for a simsub that knowingly violates the rules. Rogers, the broadcast distributor, is obligated to fulfill the simsub request so they are likely just doing their job according to the CRTC.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the CITY Tv and Buffalo ABC originator , OTA.
ABC is broadcasting in HD (as I knew already because I have been watching it for months before CITY Tv stepped in and picked up the programme.)
CITY TV ,OTA was in SD.

Does anyone have a particular phone number,department or contact name for CITY ? (I got through to the general CITY reception and she had no clue where to transfer me).

thx

·
Registered
455 Posts
The CITY TV engineering department is who you want to speak to. I'm still wondering what show we're are talking about. CITY simulcasts General Hospital which is an ABC show. Did I guess it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got this reply from CITY Tv.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your message.

We regret to inform you that General Hospital will not be available in HD at this time.

We apologize for the confusion and disappointment.

Thanks for watching Citytv.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 6:24 PM
To: RMI CityTV Toronto Feedback
Subject: Program In Standard Definition

For several months I have watching and recording General Hospital at 3pm weekdays on Rogers Channel 522 (HDABC).
This programme is broadcasted in HD.
At the beginning of this week I noticed that CITY TV has picked up this show and I noticed the CITY logo at the bottom of the screen when watching my HDPVR.
Each day I have watched the broadcast and I am disappointed to say that it is broadcasted in Standard Definition. I have also checked CITY's own HD channel (519) and it is also in Standard Definition.
Please at the earliest opportunity resolve this issue and broadcast in its proper form,
Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
If CITY admits they can't air HD they can't request the simsub. Email them back and make this clear to them. They can request it for the ABC SD channel but not for the ABC HD channel. During the show you should also complain to Rogers cable if they continue to sub an SD show over an HD one. These kinds of issues take a while to filter to the right people from the CSR's but it is the correct route to follow. PS: Record the West Coast feed at 5:00pm. It is still in HD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**UPDATE**

After receiving the email from CITY TV (in my previous post) I was pretty well told ...."I'm out of luck,too bad for you", I sent another email this time threatening to contact the CRTC because of their Simsub vilolation.
I received a voice message this morning telling me that the HD broadcast will be back on this coming Monday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
hahah, perhaps it costs more to purchase programming in HD than in SD, and they were trying to save a few bucks? who knows but glad you got a resolution, I think more people should be like this, I've noticed Everybody loves raymond and king of queens is often in SD on their HD channel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If others have problems with CITY simsubbing, they could try this number
416-764-3191. Her name is Stephanie.
i wonder about Everybody Loves Raymond and King Of Queens. If its the older ones ....weren't they in SD ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
CITY-TV has gone really downhill over the last years, especially since the CTV-Rogers debacle. This is just another example of their contempt for their audience. With all the garbage programming on CITY now, I tend to just catch the 6pm news, and thats it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts