Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So based on this no new channels in Halifax fiasco, I have taken a look at what the cost's should be for when fibeop comes to halifax compared to Eastlink.

base price
Aliant 149.95
Eastlink 129.85

PVR
Aliant Included
Eastlink 15

HD
Aliant Included
Eastlink 4.95

Second Box
Aliant 4.95 (first box, pvr, is free)
Eastlink paid for DVR so this one is free, extra is 4.95

Digital Cable
Aliant Included
Eastlink Used to be 4.95, think it is included now??

MoCA
Aliant N/A
Eastlink 5

Themes (that I want)
Aliant 10 ($5 each)
Eastlink 8 ($4 each)

long distance
Aliant 10 unlimited in province
Eastlink 30 best of 3 (my usage)

extra HD
Aliant 5-10
Eastlink 6.95

better internet
Aliant $18 (25/5 to 70/15)
Eastlink $10 (15/1-30/5)

For what I will use I think I will save 30/month by switching.

Is FibeOp bad or anything? I have made do without MoCA for this long.

FibeOp doesn't have some of the channels like TLCHD and some of the more esoteric channels, but I dont really watch them anyway. TLC i do watch though.

Anybody else from HFX thinking the same thing?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nice breakdown. I think once subscribers get informed , especially subs in Halifax that get informed of the lack of HD that a lot of other areas of Eastlink have that Halifax do not I think you will see more people changing providers if something isn't done with Halifax's system. I can guarantee you that most of Eastlinks subs in Halifax have no idea at all of all the HD channels there missing out on and Eastlink knows this and this is why they have yet to do anything to Halifax's system to fix these issues. Word has to get out to subs in Halifax or else I do not see anything being done to Halifax for the foreseeable future. This has been going on for almost a whole year now and all you get is the same exact scripted canned replies from CSR's, management etc at Eastlink that there improving services behind closed doors then they change the subject and talk about everything they have done which makes me angry because I just want to know about when Halifax's system will be getting all the HD channels were missing. There very guarded when it comes to this issue and my faith in them getting this fixed after almost a year of this foolishness going on has about gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a tech coming tomorrow for moca install. The real reason of course is I have tried to get my box swapped out and they just ping my box. I love that since I have been such a loyal customer (for 9 months) they are waiving the install fee. Lol.

I certainly didn't know people that live a mile away in bedford get better service than I do. On the other hand aliant Internet is terrible so I would have switched anyway. Being a sw developer the Internet is key for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I had the tech in on Saturday to do the moca install. The new boxes seem nice but seem to stutter every now and then. I'm not particularly happy about that but it hasn't happened enough for me to get too cranky, yet.

The tech didn't seem to know if new channels were coming, or more importantly when. He didn't seem to know that everybody else had the channels.

On the other hand my old dvr stuttered a lot on recording's and a little on live, so all in all it is better, and the 2nd box is hd now. I am way too cheap to rent a second hd box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right so FibeOp 2.0 has been announced...

The price hasn't changed, but supposedly they will be getting more channels and more HD added. And internet has bumped to 15/15 or 30/30(with the HD bundle)

FibeOp has whole home DVR and it is included. OnDemand now as well. This question is getting harder to answer stay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts