Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I used to have StarChoice at my old place, and just moved to a new home last week. Now I'm just about to call SD up to order a 530 along with my service. Is that a good idea or not, given all this chatter of a 605/630? Or should I consider another provider? (E.g. Bell ExpressVu or Rogers.)

I don't really want to pay for a 530 now and be upgrading in a few months time :(

I have a 505 now - what would the impact be if I get SD now with the 505? Would I qualify for any new discounts if the 630 gets released in the next few months? (and also discounted installation)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Depends on where you live on whether you'd consider Rogers a "superior service", I certainly wouldn't say it is in New Brunswick. Nor is it anywhere without digital. When I had it I got 22 channels and half of them didn't come in half the time.

Unless they are going to offer you a 530 really cheap, as they do to new subscribers sometimes, then I'd just wait until the 630 comes out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would just call and get your service moved and wait for an update on the 605/630.

I would avoid Rogers personally as they do everything in their power to lock you into stupid contracts with ridiculous ECF's

·
Banned
181 Posts
OMG have you not read the thread on the 530? Stay away, they have great service but the 530 is a dud and that is being polite about it. I have 2 PVR`s and will not go back to ever watching TV with out one. Rogers or Bell pick your poison!! I have Bell and it is a great PVR but well Bell isn`t the easiest company to deal with when problems arise. Can`t speak for Rogers as I live in MB and do not have them other than cell phone, which I have enjoy my experience with them.

Good Luck but run far and fast from the 530. Do not buy a 530 and think the and then have to trade up etc they will screw u....don` t go down that path!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. So basically, don't get the 530. But if I might get a hassle if I try to upgrade later, right? Perfect...

As for Rogers.. I'm in Markham, ON, so Rogers is definitely a possibility for me, but I was more interested in satellite service than I was in Rogers. As mentioned, the contracts suck. :(

If I buy a used Rogers PVR, is there anything I should watch out for? Or just forget about it and buy a new PVR?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
If you are in Ontario, sign up for the Shaw Direct Extra Value package at $38.99.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=115952

Blows all Rogers and Bell offerings away.

The 530 is not nearly as bad as some say. I had a Rogers 8300 PVR and it was no better than the 530. My 530 works great. That said I would sub with your 505 and wait for the 630 to come out in September.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The 530 won't record two shows at once will it? I'd say if that's true, it immediately invalidates the suggestion that it's as good as the 8300.

·
Registered
384 Posts
TV is pretty dead right now in the Summer so it a mix bag you might get a good deal on the hardware and the installation crew may show up sooner than in September. On the other hand their not much to watch now and since new clients get some programing credits for the first month or two you waste these credit on a Summer months that quite frankly are pretty bare!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are in Markham, why not stick up an OTA Antenna for thenext couple of months and enjoy HD at 1080i.

That give you time to choose your next provider.

I only spent $40 on an Antenna and I get about a dozen HD OTA Channels.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
+1 to Pinza's suggestion.

Give SD time to make up for their mistakes with the 530 - unless they offer you one for $99. If they can't by winter, then chose cable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had Shaw Direct standard def box & the brother in law had the HD box 505 I think neither of us had an issue tech wise we switched to Eastlink him because of price & me for MLB extra innings but the service for us while we had it was good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts