Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent announcements about the 16 percent increase in hydro costs to consumers, would one be better off to purchase their electricity from a third party supplier?

Looking at energyshop.com and the contract pricing, it looks pretty attractive now. And I wonder if one then opts out of TOU pricing when entering into a contract with an electricity supplier?

What is the consensus on electricity contracts? Besides reading the fine print.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who replied.

We have done all we can in our home to realize energy efficiency. We recently replaced our 7 appliances with all energy star new appliances, had a new high efficiency gas furnace installed with a DC ECM motor, and our home is modest and well insulated. And we have a new 12 SEER 1.5 ton A/C unit cooling our home.

We do however have some LCD tv's which I intend to place on power bars such that I can completely power them off when not in use.

My biggest concern and reason for considering an electricity contract was the coming TOU pricing coming into effect in our area next spring. We do lower the temperature of our thermostat during the heating season when we are at work, but in the summer we maintain a constant comfortable temperature all day/night as I don't believe it is good practice to shift temperatures to save a little. I think this is hard on the A/C unit.

I will follow the electricity contract pricing to see if it drops in the coming months along with the demand for A/C.

Thank you all for your comments!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.