Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!

I am about to get a monthly subscription with Skype, but I have some questions.

1. Where can I buy a phone compatible with Skype, without shopping online?
2. Is their "Unlimited Canada and US" plan too good to be true?
3. Will I be able to make calls with a 25Kb upload speed?
4. Does Skype offer me a Canadian phone number?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I am looking for a wireless handset that will enable me to connect the base to my router using a USB or Ethernet cable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A 25Kb upload speed will kill your VoIP experience. Ideally you should have 128Kb minimum. With 25Kb you'll experience really bad call quality.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Before you go buying gear, you may want to just try Skype (or other) on your PC first before investing in VoIP phones.

Skype will cost you about $3.00 for a month and you can test your Skype-out experiences. You'd also need some sort of headset with a mic.

However as I mentioned earlier, a 25Kb upload will not allow for decent VoIP experience- doesn't matter who provides the service.

Are you sure it's 25Kb??? That seems to be far below anything of today's standards.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Skype-to-Skype is free.

Skype-to-land line or mobile costs...but not much.

The other way you can test without signing up for an account is to use the Google Phone if you have Gmail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cambo, I have the Lite Cable service with Teksavvy (Down 3 Mbps and Up 256 K)
If this is not enough, I will upgrade to the express package.
I will test Skype soon and see if I experience any delays or distortions.
If my connection is a good candidate for VOIP, could you recommend me a store (no online stores if possible please) to buy a cordless phone?
My other question is, does Skype offer Canadian phone numbers? If not, then Its easy to solve.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
(Down 3 Mbps and Up 256 K)
In your first post you said 25k, which is why you got the answeres you did.

·
Registered
390 Posts
256Kb is much better.

However I don't see online Skype-in numbers available for Canada.

There are other options for VoIP providers who are easier to deal with and do exactly what you want.

If you're looking for strictly a VoIP carrier, try voip.ms. I'm not a seller, or a user. Just heard a lot about them and heard their quality is good. They have Canadian numbers available. They also support e911, which is direct 911 access. They also have PAP's available that plug into your router, and you plug your phone line into it, so you can use a normal phone.

http://voip.ms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cambo, I am looking for an unlimited plan and I think Skype meets my needs. The only issue I have, I dont know where to buy a phone compatible with Skype.
It would be awesome if there was a list of online and retail stores selling Skype compatible phones.
My last option would be to order the phones from Skype directly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Have you looked at the Big Box retailers? They used to sell them. If they don't have them anymore, then you'll likely have to shop online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found this phone on the Skype website. What do you guys think of the handset on the link?
It looks like, I can connect it to my router using an Ethernet cable.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Did you actually read the page you linked to?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use Skype on iPhone and iPad as well as desktop and laptop PC. If your friends are on Skype it's free but I do pre paid minutes for Skype out as well.

For caller ID it spoofs your cell phone ID as your caller ID and the cost was a txt message to connect I recall (they send a txt to your cell phone with a confirmation key to make sure you own the number that you type in website).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm on my second year of paid Skype service and am quite happy with it. The obvious drawback is the lack of an incoming phone number in Canada. As a person who has followed the struggle behind getting that for some time, it's become pretty clear that this will not be coming anytime soon. If you have a mobile phone though, I would presume this is less of an issue?

That is actually how we use Skype in our homes. We have the iPhone app on our iphones, touches, and iPad's. We also have a d-link converter that lets us use a normal land line phone, but we've never hooked it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts