Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a 60" Quattron by Sharp to be wall mounted in an 11x14 great room above the fireplace.

With a young family, the great room + kitchen's open concept is going to be the main traffic area BUT there is a bonus room upstairs for another future big screen.

I'm in search of a decent receiver and some very low profile speakers that won't take up a ton of room.

Are there any Home Theater in a Box products that are good for the money?

Should I buy my components separately? For now, I just need something to get me by. I'm not a big audiophile however I do watch my fair share of TV and listen to a fair amount of music.

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
233 Posts
Receiver: buy the cheapest that has pre-outs. This will allow you to add a power amp later.

Speakers: buy the most expensive/best value that you'll budget will allow.

Tell us your budget so folks can give specific recommendations. Also, find local speaker dealers that will allow you to trade-up. Dealers don't advertise this but if you ask, many actually do this. You can then start with the cheapest in the line, upgrade the following year, etc. Warning: the dealer can go bankrupt like in my case. Luckily, I was able to upgrade to a decent speaker set - five B&W 601s.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Receiver: buy the cheapest that has pre-outs. This will allow you to add a power amp later.
Why would he ever need/want a power amp? He said himself he's not an audiophile. He's also looking for low-profile speakers. So why would he want a huge piece of equipment taking up a bunch of room?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depending on your budget you can start with a low budget amp from Pioneer , denon or yamaha they go from 250$ up to 450$ they are 5.1 and also future prof if one day you want to had a 3D player/TV , then since you want to keep it small there's tons of speakers that fit your description from Klipsch , Precision acoustics , Polk . Remember this is systems that you can get at your normal FS or BB . Also you should keep the front speakers and center from the same brand , and ad a sub of 10" powered ( normally PPL feel disappointed when a smaller sub is put to the test on the low budget subs ) .
But my advise is to go around the stores and listen to those speakers and decide from there .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why would he ever need/want a power amp? He said himself he's not an audiophile.
It's always nice to have a system that's scalable. "Bad habit" leftover from my software programming days. Guy may not be an audiophile but he does listen to "a fair amount of music". Also, he's got his eye on that "bonus room" upstairs. I say, colonise that room now before the better half does. :)

Hence, a receiver like yours HTR-6160 will serve both short term and longer term objectives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts