Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I am on Rogers with the Hi-Speed Extreme Plus package. My speeds are consistently these.

I've tested at different times of the day on different days/weekend. Is this normal or should I downgrade because Rogers can't give me close to the advertised speed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the SMC 3DGN. I'm pretty sure that it is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I got my service in June so I hope they wouldn't have given me an old school modem... :-S

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would power off the modem for 10 or more minutes.

It almost appears that the modem has been configured for 15/1 service.

Power on the modem and re-check the speedtest.

If no change, give Rogers a call and have them confirm that the correct "configuration file" is being loaded to your modem based on your plan.

Maybe you will get a CSR that will temporarily give you Ultimate to prove the higher speeds can be achieved. Then change it back. This in itself may clear up a configuration issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just called in and the tech gets me to reset my modem...again. After that he logged in and checked the configuration upon my request and he said that everything looked good. I then tried another speedtest and lo and behold my speed is back up closer to what it should! I find that a bit weird but at least it works now.

Thanks for the help folks!

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
If I read the Rogers site properly, with Extreme plus you should be getting 32/1 down/up. With SpeedBoost, you should be getting even more than 32 down.

I'm on Express and pay for 12/0.5 - I almost always get 20 down, 0.5 up - here are my numbers today - they vary a bit depending on time of day - these are about the worst I've seen recently:

You may wish to check again at another time of day, but with there being packages available that are higher than yours, you should get what you pay for.

The uploads should soon be higher per the following thread (Extreme and higher I believe):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=147483

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 57. I'll keep an eye on the speeds. You do believe that I should be getting closer to 32Mbps though?

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Since there are packages that have higher download and upload speed, you should get very close to what you pay for. With Speedboost, I get double my download speed on Express for the first 10MB (most of the test sites), however, I'm not sure if you'd get as much of a boost since you're already (perhaps) pushing the limits of the system. Perhaps others who have the higher speed can comment if Speedboost does anything for them.

If you see Shabb's posts in the other thread, he's getting 40-50 on Extreme...

The other option if you were happy with the speed you had before is that you could downgrade and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It is fast today....generally I am closewr to the 32 down on extreme plus.

I have the Cisco modem if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll be giving them another call. Based on you guys' experiences I'm really not getting my full speed. I might also downgrade if it doesn't improve.

jasonreg: that's a good speed. Is that a normal speed for you?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
DrBongo,
Just curious. Are you connected directly to your modem? I remember when I switched from Vz ADSL to cable on TWC a couple years ago, if I went thru the old router I had at the time speeds were significantly slower than if I connected directly to the modem. That led me to buying a more recent wireless router. After replacing my router I could achieve the same speeds thru the router as when directly connected to the modem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I'm connected through a separate router. I'm currently using a linksys WRTSL54GS with the DD-WRT firmware.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
In that case, I'd try connecting the modem directly to your computer to see if it makes a difference in speed. Your router might be defective in some way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately my current situation prevents me from doing that. I might be able to find another router somewhere and at least swap out my linksys with it. I'll try that.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Get one from Staples or FututreShop. If it isn't the problem, they are easy to return.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried another router today and there was no difference in speeds between both. So I downgraded to the extreme package. I'll save $10 per month and have basically the same speeds. Works for me.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I tried another router today and there was no difference in speeds between both.
However, since it sounds like ya never really bypassed the router entirely, we'll never know for sure if the bandwidth you were looking for was never available or if something else was going on. Agree, saving $120 bux a year is MUCH easier than trying to convince a provider they have a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't bypass the router completely because I have no way of connecting a computer straight in my modem. Well, I could but that means I have to lug at whole computer down to the basement, set it up just to test my speed. That's too much work for not much benefit. I'd rather save the money ;-) And then if I don't have the proper speed I have to argue with rogers and stuff... not worth my time for a few mbps off the advertised speed. It was worth the call when I was at 14mbps though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts