Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this.
I need some assistance. Last year we got the Rogers ignite installed in our room. However the coax cable that runs from the wall into the TV is so short and in the dark we trip on it, I am so afraid one day the tv will come crashing down.
Is there an extension I can buy to extend the cable from the wall and then have it connect to the TV? I tried contacting Rogers to help, but I don't think the person understood me. I am hoping this is something easy I can do myself. Any assistance or advice anyone can provide is appreciated. Thank you all. Stay safe and healthy!

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Firstly, the coax runs to the Rogers (Router/modem) Box, not the TV. Is that the one you're talking about? How long is your existing RF-coax cable? You could simply purchase a longer RF-coax (preferably RG-6) instead of extending the existing one. These are fairly inexpensive. If you want to extend the existing one, you can get a coupler (barrel connector) and an additional coax, although that will have a bit more signal loss and is another source for a possible poor connection.

The Rogers Box connects to the TV via HDMI and I guess that's not the cable you're talking about? If it is, get a longer HDMI cable.

I'm not quite sure why Rogers wouldn't have known what you're talking about. Usually they are able to provide a longer RF-coax cable (during, or after installation), however, during COVID-19 they will not do house calls.

If you've got an Ethernet cable from the Router/modem to the Rogers Ignite Box, then you could get a longer Ethernet cable for that, or use WiFi, as mentioned in the post below.

Edit - If there is an RF-coax cable running directly from the wall to the TV, you should simply be able to remove it since it's not doing anything since Ignite works as mentioned above and in the post below:

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
the coax cable that runs from the wall into the TV is so short
Assuming the "coax cable" is the incoming RG6 cable, here are some possible solutions:
1. It should be possible to move the Rogers router (which is probably where the coax terminates) and have the Ignite TV box use wifi to communicate for the TV signal. (It may already be using wifi.) The router can be anywhere that allows the Ignite TV box and other wifi devices to receive a good wifi signal.
2. If the cable runs from a coax wall outlet, then purchase a longer RG6 cable, compete with connectors. Make sure it is rated to at least 2GHz or higher. It should look something like this. Beware of cheap cables with molded connectors that are not RG6.
3. Use a barrel connector and a shorter coax cable (as in 1.) to extend the existing cable. The barrel connector should also be rated to at least 2GHz or higher. As noted in the previous post, there may be some signal loss but that should not be a concern for most installations, especially those done recently.
4. The best solution is to replace the cable going all the way back to the Rogers box or splitter and, possibly, have it enter the room at a better location. That's best done by a professional but, (as noted previously) it's not currently possible.

If the "coax" is in reality a LAN cable then use 1, 2 or 3. above using suitable LAN connectors and cables for 2 and 3.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Let's wait till the Op writes back and clarifies if this is indeed the Coaxial "Coax" cable wire he is refering to, or HDMI, or perhaps its a totally different cable? And yes like everyone else on here stated, if its Coax, it does NOT go from the Wall Plate to the Coax input of your TV any more, Rogers uses Digital signals so it goes thru some kind of Cable box FIRST then the box connects to your TV but yes if its a DTA or older SD Box the box could still connect to your TV via Coax. Maybe a photo would help or if the op could not take a photo the OP could describe the Cable outlet in more detail, is it a round cylinder with threads that screw on? etc? lets wait till the OP gives us more info before we start jumping to conclusions

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good idea. Perhaps you guys can coax the info out of the OP. Pun intended. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts