Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not stupid at all. I use this stuff but I really don't know how it all works :confused:

You can download stuff from a BitTorrent site using a client like Frostwire or similar. A bit of googling will show you how to do this.

You should not download copyrighted material.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
About Sherlock Holmes' lack of knowledge about our solar system as depicted in the last TV episode. It's also mentioned in the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles.

While the character of Sherlock Holmes in the novel is portrayed as an unusual yet brilliant man, I wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had in mind the more realistic and rather disturbed character portrayed in the television series.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
While the character of Sherlock Holmes in the novel is portrayed as an unusual yet brilliant man, I wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had in mind the more realistic and rather disturbed character portrayed in the television series.
Interesting - if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the lead in Sherlock is playing the character closer to Doyle's vision, while Doyle's novels missed the mark a little?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Actually, it might be as simple as Doyle not being able to portray Holmes exactly the way he wanted to portray him due to the prejudices of the time.

By putting the TV version of Holmes in my mind while reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles", it changed the overall feel of the story (I had already read half of the book before, but hadn't finished it). I couldn't believe that a somewhat "normal" person could have these incredible deductive abilities, which made the stories and subsequent movies seem completely unrealistic. But what about someone with specific mental issues? Autistic? Idiot-Savant? Bipolar disorder? A combination of disorders? It's suddenly all made sense now!

Today, we know that people with certain mental difficulties can also possess some pretty incredible mental abilities. Doyle may have been aware of this, maybe even a sufferer/beneficiary himself. But to reveal these mental difficulties during the Victorian era could have been disastrous for the character, and possibly for Doyle himself.

It was the mention of the solar system in the book, and how it was interpreted in last week's episode of the show that allowed me to finally make the connection. After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.
I have never read any of the Sherlock Holmes books, but what you are saying makes sense.

I wonder how this will effect Benedict Cumberbatch's career? He is appearing in two upcoming movies - The Hobbit, and (according to news reports) as the villian in the next Star Trek movie. Regarless of Cumberbatch's talents, I am going to have trouble seeing Sherlock Holmes in a Star Trek movie.... ;)

Typcasting can be really annoying. When an actor really owns a role, it is hard to see him in a different role without prejudice.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
We'll soon find out just how good an actor he really is. If he can deliver a performance that makes you forget his Sherlock Holmes character, then he's a real actor, and not a on-trick-pony.

One actor that comes to mind who was good enough to avoid stereotypes during his entire career is Christopher Plummer. He's remembered as Captain Von Trapp in "The Sound of Music", the evil priest in "Dragnet", and (surprise!) General Chang in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country."

Another thing in common between Cumberbatch and Plummer: they're both theatre actors. And many filmmakers prefer to work with theatre actors because, along with their prior acting experience, theatre actors know how to deliver a powerful performance in front of a camera just like they've done in front of a live audience.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I saw Benedict in A Small Island and you wouldn't realise it's the same actor who plays Sherlock. I think he is a brilliant actor and will have no trouble playing different roles. I also think he is the best Sherlock Holmes after Jeremy Bates and so much better than the stupid movies with Robert Downey Jr.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
We just saw The Hounds of Baskerville, and WOW!

The sad part is - one more episode, and the season is finished. :(

I really hope they bring this show back for a third season! What references I can find indicate that this is not a sure thing - there are no plans for a third season at this time, although the principles have indicated that they would like to do one more.

Only one more season? I guess that makes sense in some ways. There were only four Sherlock Holmes novels, after all......

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
There are 56 short stories too, some of which they have used for this excellent modernization. If they end the series, it won't be from a lack of original source material.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is Season 3 a Sure lock for Holmes

I'm not sure if this is elementary enough to follow, but if the brief words from the Executive Producer (Rebecca Eaton) of Masterpiece (Theatre) are to be believed, there are indeed plans for a third season/series of Sherlock. In fact, she seems to imply that it's a sure lock!

And although co-creator Mark Gatiss was cryptic when he was asked about a third season: “You'll have to see if they survive this one!”, at least actor Martin Freeman (Doctor Watson) was more positive about the plans for a third season while being interviewed on a recent (January 6th) episode of The Graham Norton Show. Mr. Freeman stated that "The plan is we will do a third series. There’s certainly more to do and I would like to do it... It’s one of the few things I’ve done ever really where I think ‘I’d like to do a lot of these’. It’s a very nice way to spend your time."

Plus, Mr. Google (I know his wife) says that a third season of Sherlock has been confirmed as of January 7th, 2012 at 1:10 ET, but since Mr. Google is a known alcoholic, it's best to wait for more comments from the producers and the BBC before you start celebrating too soon.

Taken from a Wednesday (Jan. 4) interview for the Television Critics Association winter press tour (via satellite):

Question: Will you return for Season 3 of Sherlock?

Benedict Cumberbatch (plays Sherlock): You might say, it’s quite hard to make it back after the end of the last episode. I’m going to only tease you with, ‘I would like to.’ There’s another lawyer telling me not to say anything. I’m only going to tease you with [the fact that] I’d like to.

After that statement, Masterpiece executive producer Rebecca Eaton adds, "Yes, he will be. Yes." Then she looks at Cumberbatch on the monitor and adds, “Right Benedict?"

·
Registered
662 Posts
BBC Canada to air Season 1 of Sherlock beginning this week

In case you missed it the first time, you can watch Season/Series 1 of Sherlock beginning this week on BBC Canada.

Season 1:

Episode 1 will air Thursday Jan. 12 at 2pm ET (and repeated later that night and on Sunday).

Episode 2 will air on the following Thursday, Jan 19th at 2pm ET (and repeated later that night and on Sunday).

I assume that Episode 3 will air on Jan. 26th (etc.), but I can't confirm it at the moment.

I'm also not sure when or where Season 2 will be shown, but those questions should be answered soon enough.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There are 56 short stories too, some of which they have used for this excellent modernization. If they end the series, it won't be from a lack of original source material.
Understood.

My comment was because we have six full stories in the Sherlock TV series for a character that only ever had four full lenght stories written!

The popularity of Sherlock Holmes over the last many, many years goes far beyond what one might expect for the volumn of writing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
There might be a reasonable explanation for the very low production run. It's possible the producers want to be very, very careful with the legend of Sherlock Holmes. The episodes already last an hour and a half each, produced with the same attention to detail as a theatrical release. It would be a shame if, in an attempt to produce more episodes, the quality of the stories begins to diminish. I would prefer they keep the production run reasonably low, and keep delivering some of the best writing today's television has to offer.

Also watched Hounds of Baskerville. While the TV episode borrowed quite a few elements from the book of a similar title (i.e. Hound of the Baskervilles), the TV episode is its own unique story. At least I think it's its own unique story. I still haven't finished reading the bloody book yet! :p

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There might be a reasonable explanation for the very low production run. It's possible the producers want to be very, very careful with the legend of Sherlock Holmes.
TV is very different in the UK. A full "season" is often 4 - 8 episodes long, not the 15-24 we get from the Yanks.

This has been true of most series I have watched from over there. Doctor Who has one of the longer seasons, and it is only 13 episodes.

I agree with the point of keeping the production values high. However, the BBC seems able to do this far more frequently than the Yanks, or most of the crud from our home-grown wannabe clone, the CBC.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.
If his character was comprimised to fit what was socially acceptable at that time - well, I guess we can say the same about today's Sherlock.

In the Hounds of the Baskerville, Sherlock is going crazy for a fix - and it turns out to be tobacco! Making tobacco the evil monkey on his back is surely written to match today's social expectations.

In the original, Holmes' addiction was to something a lot stronger. They even made reference to it in the latest episode, when Sherlock was looking for a "seven percent solution".

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
TV is very different in the UK. A full "season" is often 4 - 8 episodes long, not the 15-24 we get from the Yanks.
Even for the BBC, a three episode series is very short.

As for his addiction, this might just be the beginning. Who knows what else he'll use as a substitute.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Even for the BBC, a three episode series is very short.
But these are three 90 minutes episodes, almost the same viewing time as a 5 episode hour long series.

As for his addiction, this might just be the beginning. Who knows what else he'll use as a substitute.
My point was that the original Holmes was addicted to a substance that was legally available at the time, but it viewed with horror today. Therefore, it had to be changed - and since tobacco is today's whipping post, they made him socially correct. For both the original and the current, the character of Holmes has been subverted to meet the needs of appearing to be socially acceptable.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi everyone I guess nobody has heard about S2 in Canada yet. Those of you who have seen it thank you for not making spoilers. Well there have been some little ones but not something big so I hope if you want to say big spoilers youll make a new thread so we can keep reading this one about a Canada airing. Weve been hearing that the new eps are very popular so we're very excited about seeing them!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Bayguy, definitely no spoilers in the thread, which is a bit of a miracle. You really want to talk about the many little details seen in each episode so much, but you don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen the series yet! Talk about frustrating! :)

I'm now reading the last chapter of the book "The Hound of The Baskerville", and what a let-down! All that work in setting everything up, and you're now being rushed through how the whole mystery was solved! Ack!

I definitely preferred the TV episode over the book. It might be an entirely different storyline, but the delivery is much better balanced, and the story is actually believable!

21 - 40 of 133 Posts