1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Yes, it's quite probable. In the long term it would make more sense for cable companies to start rolling out FTTH. Fibre has much more bandwidth, is an established 10Gbps+ media, requires less maintenance and probably lasts longer than coax. With suitable regulation as a common carrier, the universal use of FTTH could also significantly reduce infrastructure duplication and costs.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
I don't know if this true or not(some one told me this)but fibe has to be baried to not get effected by weather. In other words in older section where cable or phone lines are strung by polls you can't convert it to fiber(strung on polls) that the cold weather and other el,ents will effect the signal.

Like I said some one told me this. Not sure if the person was joking or not, but is it true?

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Fibre optic cable is more susceptible to damage from bending and stretching than copper cables. Hanging fibre optic cables on poles and exposing them to stretching, wind and temperature extremes will likely shorten their life considerably.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I don't know if this true or not(some one told me this)but fibe has to be baried to not get effected by weather. In other words in older section where cable or phone lines are strung by polls you can't convert it to fiber(strung on polls) that the cold weather and other el,ents will effect the signal.

Like I said some one told me this. Not sure if the person was joking or not, but is it true?
I've got fiber to my house, and it's run in the neighorhood along the poles. One of the reasons Fredericton got it so early is that most of the city's wiring is on poles so it was easy to run. Weather doesn't affect the performance in any noticable way, though I can't comment on the lifespan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts