Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a New customer with Shaw.

And understand that with my service (7.5 mb) .. they have 75 GB bandwidth / month.

To me it sounds like not a lot.. and i might go over...

What can i expect then .. if i go over?

Will SHAW call me? .. Approx. how soon?

.. and then what basically?

Will they cut me off? (cuz i wouldn't want to pay for the "GBs that i went over")

Will they suggest something to me maybe .. like for example to upgrade to "15 mb" service .. where they have, i think, 125 GB bandwidth / month ?

What happens if i DO upgrade (for extra 10 bucks a month basically) .. will they be satisfied for time-being .. (like maybe leave me alone for a couple of months etc) .. cuz, who knows .. - i might "go over" EVEN with 125 GB bandwidth / month.. (not sure .. will have to see how much i will actually use)

Just wondering basically..
If they warn me .. and i don't improve the 1st time.. and they ll call me in a month and warn me again..
and i go to 15 mb service (Upgrade) ... and again will be over the bandwidth .. HOW many month approx. after that .. until they ll terminate my service (cuz i SURELY will not be willing to pay for extra badwidth's GBs) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You referenced this topic in a previous post.

I've been a shaw customer for years, and I have been known to use plenty of bandwidth. I used to get phone calls about excessive P2P use back in 2001 and 2002, but since then I haven't received any sort of communication from Shaw about excessive bandwidth use, and I exceed my monthly cap (currently 125GB) more often than not. When I did get a warning call, the warning call was not accompanied by a bill.

If, instead, you subscribed to the DSL provider in my area (Telus) in the same situation they would expect you to pay for the extra bandwidth (or, as you put it, the "GBs that i went over") to the tune of "$2/additional GB used".

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my Local DSL provider .. - i even recall specifically calling them with the "bandwidth" question.

their reply was (by several of their CSRs etc (i asked few times) : "We don't limit bandwidth usage for our customers" (regardless, i guess, if it says on their web site otherwise) :)

Was with them about 14 months or so.. - know for sure that used lots of bandwidth .. and NEVER received one phone call from them...

and love that dynamic IP..
When say (for example) download file from some place (Hotfile for example) ..and if don't have a Premium with them, want to download another file.. - they might say for example: "have to wait 30 minuntes or 1 hour, etc before can download again as a Free user"

Click with your mouse to disconect from internet / re-connect (even right away, say in a second) .. refresh the browser's tap screen.. and CAN download that 2nd file right away.. (cuz ip changed) .. no need to wait 30 minutes , an hour etc..

Cable does NOT have this technology.. (they have "fixed" / non-static IP)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts