Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there has been a huge build up of hostility towards MTS lately with their e-mail switch.

I agree that since I switched to the new MTS e-mail...that it's worse than awful...the connection always times out.

Anyway...this thread may prove benificial for those (like me) that are considering switching to SHAW High-Speed Internet.

I would like to hear what SHAW High-Speed Internet is like...the good and the bad.

And one last thing...PLEASE...make sure it's High-Speed you are talking about...as it would be completely unfair to compare SHAW's Extreme High-Speed to MTS High-Speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had Shaw since it first became available. It's been damn near bulletproof for reliability and speed for a LONG time (I can't remember when it was available but I believe it was more than 10 years ago). Their customer service is also aces in my mind. When I was on their regular high speed (not the "lite" version) I would see downloads in the 800k range.

I tried MTS high speed a couple years ago when they offered a free trial.
I was NOT impressed whatsoever. It was far slower in speed and "laggy" in my eyes. The best download speed I ever saw was 450k.
I had it removed three weeks after it was installed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Having had both services, I'm sticking with MTS. I can be guaranteed my download speeds with MTS, and their upload speeds are about double Shaw's right now. Also, I find that Shaw's speeds can be downright embarassingly slow at times. When they are fast, they are super fast... but it always seemed like just when I needed to use that speed, I'd get 50k...

I just ran this now, and I have a couple of... erm... "things" being shared at the same time that I can't stop right now. I'm consistently in the 8MB/2MB range, any time of day, any day. This is just the middle tier internet plan with MTS, I might add.

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
I've switched between Shaw and MTS several times and find them basically similar. I tend to monitor my network speed fairly closely, especially when I'm doing large downloads. I download video podcasts through iTunes daily.

MTS Lightning
Up to 7.5 Mbps download speed
Up to 2 Mbps upload speed (if you have MTS TV)

Shaw High-speed
Up to 7.5 Mbps download speed
Up to 512 Kbps upload speed

I last had Shaw High-Speed in January and found the download speeds pretty similar. Shaw has a "Powerboost" feature which will allow a higher speed for a short time. I found it really didn't make much difference in real life. It makes the speedtest look good, because these are short downloads. For general web browsing, you aren't reaching anywhere close to 7 Mbps. For long downloads, it gives a short burst of higher speed, but quickly reverts back to the 7.5 Mbps speed, so the total download time isn't really any faster.

I find that the speed on MTS more consistent; on a fast server the network graph looks like a straight line at max speed. Shaw gives you the Powerboost at the beginning, but wasn't able to maintain a consistent max speed afterwards. Overall, I found the Shaw speed fairly comparable to MTS. I had problems quite a while ago with Shaw's node in my area being overloaded, however those seem to have been fixed.

The faster upload speed on MTS probably won't make much difference to most people since they probably don't do much uploading. The exceptions would be things like torrents where your download speed is limited by your share ratio, on-line backups, sharing large pics or video files (either through email or sharing sites).

I can't comment on the differences between the email systems since I stopped using ISP email years ago. This way I'm not locked in to one provider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I had Shaw I had to beg and plead for months for them to acknowledge that the speed slowed down in the evening when I actually wanted to use it. I documented speed tests from various times and they kept trying to tell me that it was Apple.com or Microsoft.com that didn't have enough bandwidth.

Finally, after a few months someone said the "node" in my area was over saturated and had to be split. Another several weeks and it did get a bit better, but the frustration and denial was enough to make me switch to MTS. Now I get the same speed all day every day.

Also, I take the speed tests from Shaw with a grain of salt. The PowerBoost service seems designed to make those look good and does little else from my experience.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From reading this thread...it appears that SHAW's Powerboost feature skews the SpeedTest results...making it appear much faster than it actually is.

It does me no good if SHAW is incredible for 5 seconds...then slower than MTS afterwards.

Is there a way to turn the feature off...and then run a SpeedTest...so that we could see an accurate read?

Perhaps a better judge would be consistant download times for both MTS and SHAW for 5-10 GB at a time during primetime during the week...and during the day on the weekends.

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
I forgot to mention in my previous post that Shaw did throttle torrents in the past. I'm not sure if that's still an issue with the new CRTC guidelines.

Powerboost can't be turned off. Aside from that short burst, Shaw's download speed is capped at 7.5 Mbps so for long downloads MTS will probably give you better results (assuming the server is not the bottleneck).

I've done extensive testing on both systems and find the MTS download speeds slightly better when comparing the 7.5 Mbps plans.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave...that's the kind of info I needed...I guess I'll be staying with MTS...unless I bite the bullet and go for the SHAW Extreme for the extra $10.

I may have to consider moving my e-mail...(and that will be a major headache)...as their new service consistantly drops connection.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
We've already established that Shaw's Powerboost feature completely skews speedtest results... so posting them again and again does nothing for you...

Try downloading a torrent and tell me what your average speed over an hour was?

Mine was 7.7 Mb/s with MTS.

Also dm_4u - if you have MTS Ultimate TV, look into their special internet plan for some serious speed - 30 Mb/s when you aren't watching TV!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the thing Mozza...I am currently using Bell.

I wonder why MTS doesn't offer an in-between speed.

As it sits, it doesn't sound like SHAW has any more consistant speed so changing won't help (unless I pay more) and even though this new e-mail p*sses me off to no end...I see myself staying with MTS.

It's really the only thing that MTS has done to make me mad...I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I should also add that MTS has no enforced data/bandwidth cap on their service. The unofficial message is 60GB/month, but they don't link your usage to your billing, so unless you are burning through 500GB+ a month, they won't do anything about it at all...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the advent of Netfix in Canada...it'll be very interesting to monitor exactly how the Cable/Satellite providers deal with this bandwidth issue...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts