Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a press release issued today Shaw Communications Inc. said it would invite customer feedback on Internet usage allowances and billing later this month and in March.

In addition, the company would delay the implementation of usage based billing until after the consultations were complete.

Meeting dates, times and locations will be announced on Monday, February 14th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like Shaw have listened and are putting UBB on hold for now. I commend them for setting up discussion sessions before coming up with what their take on UBB will be.
This is pure PR. People are confused and angry, and Shaw is bleeding subscribers. Rather than wait the two months for the CRTC decision to clear up while taking a ton of heat from the media and customers, they'll take the opportunity for a little PR damage control in which they'll just reiterate the same lousy reasoning for the overage billing. Believe me, they aren't going to let go of this cash cow now that they can smell the money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. The CRTC is going to make changes in the next two months.

Rather than implementing new policies that might change in two months, Shaw is sitting on its hands and has dreamed up this stunt.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Shaw is bleeding subscribers.
And you know this how? Because of the handful of people in these forums that say they are switching to Telus?

I do agree that this is probably just a PR stunt. I would be mighty surprised if Shaw actually listens to their customers' suggestions regarding this. I was under the impression that the CRTC decision had nothing to do with ISP's charging UBB for their own customers. So I don't think the UBB ruling will effect if Shaw charges UBB or not.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although the recent decision by the CRTC was charging TPIA providers UBB, I think the CRTC is now forced to address the issue of UBB for all providers.

My guess is we can expect changes regarding UBB for all providers in the next few months (elections are in the air) and Shaw knows this.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Actually, many people on this forum have had experience with Shaw doing just that ... soliciting feedback from their customers and acting on it. There was a time Shaw offered just 6 HD channels and met with a large group of Digital Home members specifically to get our feedback and acted on certain things we asked for.

Obviously, there is a significant public relations piece to this, in that Shaw is taking a lot less heat than Bell or Rogers on UBB in the general press and have acted sooner to take a step back.

However, based on my personal experience (and that of others who were involved in the HD issue), when Shaw's attention is piqued they can actually be genuinely responsive to their customer base. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt to the extent that whatever the CRTC does with UBB, Shaw's ultimate implementation will reflect some element of appeasing their customers based on these feedback sessions.

jshel, the CRTC decision is technically unrelated but except that a BDU/ILEC cannot charge a wholesale customer UBB if they don't do it on the retail side. To the extent that Shaw's desire to charge their wholesale customers UBB influenced their decision on the retail side, the CRTC review plays into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, many people on this forum have had experience with Shaw doing just that ... soliciting feedback from their customers and acting on it.
There is absolutely no way they're shutting down this massive new revenue stream.

I mean, we can hope for a raise in the caps or a reasonable unlimited data plan, but UBB isn't going anywhere without government intervention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And you know this how? Because of the handful of people in these forums that say they are switching to Telus?
Obviously I have no numbers yet, but I don't think there can be any doubt that they've lost a lot of customers (I anecdotally know of three who wouldn't know what a broadband forum is), and that many, many more are on the fence. The fact that they're pulling this PR stunt indicates they're in damage control mode, and I don't think they would find it necessary if they weren't hurting.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It is a PR stunt, but it is still a good move.

If enough people tweet/facebook/email, etc and word gets out then we might be able to make a difference.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
There is absolutely no way they're shutting down this massive new revenue stream.
What makes you so sure it's a "massive new revenue stream"? Everything Shaw (and any other BDU/ILEC) has said is that it affects a small number of customers. There's no hard data to suggest otherwise. Remember, Shaw's a company with $3.8billion in revenue. A few thousand or even a few hundred thousand from UBB is hardly "massive" in context.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I called in this evening seeing if there was any way out of these extra fees with the usual "I've been a customer for over a decade, when I signed up you promised never to charge, MTS isn't going to charge etc...

The lady I got was pretty adamant that I will be charged on my next bill and there was no way out of it no matter what.

The reps don't seem to know anything had been delayed.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Please stay on topic

Folks, please DO NOT re-hash issues that have already been discussed in existing UBB threads, whether from the Shaw-specific thread or the thread relating to all ISPs.
To re-iterate: No more messages in this thread about angering top-tier users, service cancellations, comparisons to other ISP, proposed service tiers and the like. These topics are already well-covered elsewhere.
Please restrict your commenting here to Shaw's postponement of UBB implementation and news about/from their coming consultations.
A number of off-topic posts have been deleted.
However, you are free to re-post in the appropriate threads, as long as you're not repeating yourself.
Thank you for your understanding.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
What makes you so sure it's a "massive new revenue stream"? Everything Shaw (and any other BDU/ILEC) has said is that it affects a small number of customers. There's no hard data to suggest otherwise. Remember, Shaw's a company with $3.8billion in revenue. A few thousand or even a few hundred thousand from UBB is hardly "massive" in context.
There was a quote from a stockholder meeting that suggested that this was a new revenue stream. I don't have the link handy however.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I was challenging the word "massive" not notion that there's additional revenue to be made.

Clearly, that revenue is coming at the price of Shaw's reputation and they're pulling back somewhat. To what extent? Not clear, but my past experience with them suggests that it will be incorporate the feedback they get in these sessions.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Why can't one company such as Shaw take a stance and say: we will charge extra, but we will keep our extra charges reasonable. And we will increase our caps rather than lowering them. When US customers get 250 GB a month, why can't they offer the same?

Has anyone at Shaw ever thought of the potential influx of customers this may bring if their competitors lower their caps and start squeezing customers for every penny ?

The reason why this angers me is that, once again, we are faced with the realization that there is no real competitiveness in our Canadian market.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shaw and the other big cable and telephone companies have close to as many HSI customers as they are going to get. The only way to make more is to charge more.

In a mature market with a duopoly, dropping the price is simply a way to lose money. It won't gain you any market share.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Even if I stay with Shaw, I will cancel Movie Central and HD Plus to make up for the extra internet costs--so Shaw may not lose any money, but they won't make any more off me. If UBB is cancelled I may also look for a different provider that offers better pricing.

Shaw may also anger enough internet customers that they will look for a different provider for TV, phone and internet, which will hurt their bottom line. Anger is a very strong motivator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's your only choice really. If you do not like UBB you must leave Shaw. If you do like UBB then by all means stay. Shaw has made it clear they like it. Ma and Pa Kettle don't seem to mind either. Shaw will eventually be just like Telus landlines. Only people over the age of 50 have a Telus landline.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.