Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been answered, I tried a bunch of searches with no results.

For Shaw, I don't download many torrents, but the ones I do are say 1GB in size. Whereas I used to get upwards of 250kb/sec (high speed) I now get 30kb/second total as most of the rest of you are.

Question: If I upgrade to whatever, Nitro, Extreme, SpeedBoost, will that remove that cap of 30kb/second or will it stil be there and just speed up all non p2p traffic? I don't care about waiting a day or two to get a file, just be nicer to get it in 20 mins instead like in the days of way back.

;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm guessing if you are throttled at one package, you will be throttled at all packages.

I'll save the trouble of those coming on here and posting that torrent speeds vary, depending on number of seeders, blah blah. The fact is - Shaw admits to throttled BT traffic.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Shaw's throttling is inconsistent. There are times when I would be thrilled to get your 30kbs. Other times I get over 400kps. You might try downloading at different times of the day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If Shaw does indeed throttle BT traffic, is this selectively applied---and based on what (ie how do they do it)? I'm curious if this holdback on internet speed could have an effect on gaming applications (XboxLive for example).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Shaw (and many other ISPs) are not very forthcoming about their traffic shaping. Good luck trying to get a straight answer from them.

In the meantime we are left clueless and on our own to debate whether the performance of torrents and other services are being intentionally impacted by policies of our ISP.

Support net neutrality!
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72931

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have Shaw High Speed Xtreme, and when downloading form a "Members Only" site like "TorrentLeach" and if I get on a torrent early, I set my max. download at 800 and I almost always max. out at 800. I use utorrent and have protocol encryption "outgoing" set at "Forced"; not sure if that helps or not, but sure doesn't seem to hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They have throttled naked torrents for a couple of years now. Utor/Azu encryption beats it easily. Simply enable it and enjoy maxing out your connection.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^^^^Thanks, Sympatico started throttling in my area a couple weeks ago. Your suggestion fixed my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got Shaw Extreme speed and didn't experience any really slow downloads unless there's no seeders... I download a LOT from BitTorrent (goin'on www.mininova.org) at least 2 go per day (a lot of movies & tv shows) I live in Coquitlam and even reached a 1mo/s download on a torrent with not even that many seeders (32). Here's a picture. I hope they wont start throttling the Internet like Bell... What if I move somewhere else? Anybody experienced throttling with shaw???

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Anybody experienced throttling with shaw???
Ahh, yeah. They were one of the first in North America to do it and are still known far and wide for it. Much discussion here and dsl reports about it. It has improved somewhat lately and it seems to depend on when and where you are downloading. You must be in one of the good areas.

For me, I don't download that much. Mainly shows we can't get here like 'Real Time With Bill Maher' or shows that Shaw and their problematic HD box screwed up. Sometimes it will sit there at dial-up speeds for hours and then suddenly pick up and download the rest of the show in minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
utorrent

hey guys, i currently use uttorent and have been for about 1 year, i just recently upgraded to shaw high speed internet from shaw high speed lite, before when i was using lite i would get max 30 kb/s download speed on a good torrent but now that i have upgraded im geting .5-10 kb/s and its extremely frustrating, i also just recently downloaded vuze to try it out and see how it compares and the torrents i download from the vuze network website thingy get up to 3 mb's (really fast) but all he torrents i download off of mininova or pirate bay etc get that frustrating 2 kb/s and i dont know why? could this be because i messed with some settings? but i did restore after. also for some reason i can no longer connect to my wifi on my ipod and its not the ipod because the other wifi's work. as you can see im having many problems and some help would be much appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

Harris

·
Registered
403 Posts
Make sure you port forward properly.

I also upgraded from Lite to High Speed and now I usually get at least 250kb/s, sometimes as high as 700kb/s.

·
Registered
647 Posts
They have throttled naked torrents for a couple of years now. Utor/Azu encryption beats it easily. Simply enable it and enjoy maxing out your connection.
So are those clients different or just short names for uttorrent and azureus?

I'm using uttorrent now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm using Utorrent as well and I get super fast speeds (500-800kb/s) with Shaw High Speed (7.5mbps).

·
Registered
77 Posts
web surfing slow down while dl torrents?

During the past week or so I am noticing quite a slow down on web surfing while downloading torrents. I have been doing the same practice for many years on Shaw Extreme. Someone in another forum is suggesting Shaw is throttling??? I don't know much about it.
Is there something I can do?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I was having the same problem for a long time. Based on some advice I got here and other sites, I found that reducing the upload speed manually to 20kbs worked wonders. I mean night and day difference. Try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was having horrible speeds up to 100kB/s

Then a friend recomend i download the shaw internet support and do the internet update... now i have hit speeds of 1700kB/s, but more often around 600 kB/s.

another thing that might be slowing you down is your router, i notice a huge difference when i went from d-links dir-655 to asus rt-n16. a much more stable router

·
Banned
78 Posts
Routers can definately buckle under the load of torrents.

The way I look at throttling.. internet is sold by bandwidth. If I am paying for a 25Mpbs connection I expect a 25Mbps connection.

Here's my take on monthly caps:

25Mb/s = ~3MB/s = 180MB/m = ~10GB/h = ~240GB/day... ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts