Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem? Shaw recently replaced my Motorola PVR with the TDC776D model becasue the old unit failed after a power failure. The new PVR works pretty good and I've even added an eternal HD, however the PVR seems to occassionally ignore commands from the remote. Sometimes I'm trying to advanced through a recording using the 1 min. skip ahead button and the PVR responds to about 3 out of the 5 clicks. I've even experienced this when I browse my recordings and the "My Recordings" option will be on the screen but I have to repeatedly push the OK button for about 20 seconds before the recordings actually appear.

I don't think the problem is with the remote because I see the light flash on it each time I press a button and the PVR ignores the command.

Regards,
Derrick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's a pretty common problem with the A25 version of the i-Guide and all DCTs using it. The A28 version is supposed to greatly reduce this issue, this version is supposed to be loaded on Pace hardware by the end of the month.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also, I've found the IR receiver is not the best on the Pace units, so you can improve this by plugging in the IR dongle that came with the unit. Stick it out on the front, it seems to pick up remote control commands better.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How old is your remote? Is the red LED flashes when you press the skip or OK button?

I used to have a remote with the power button. I had to press and hold the power button for 5 - 10 seconds before the red LED flashes to turn on or off my system. I took it to Shaw to exchange for a new one.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Another thing to try is new batteries. As simple as this sounds, it can often solve some of the most annoying problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, when I press a button on the remote, the light on the remote flashes right away. This is a new remote that came with new batteries, but I can still try new batteries.

·
Registered
18 Posts
make sure you're pointing it at the unit...as simple as it sounds. it's not one of those remotes that lets you point it anywhere in the room and work.

·
Registered
187 Posts
justywusty said:
make sure you're pointing it at the unit...as simple as it sounds. it's not one of those remotes that lets you point it anywhere in the room and work.
vandekraats said:
I don't think the problem is with the remote because I see the light flash on it each time I press a button and the PVR ignores the command.
I too have this problem on my Motorola DCTT 6416 III. It seems to be a bit better now than it used to be (firmware updates?), but the problem is still present.

·
Registered
725 Posts
When you press a button on the remote, not only does the red CBL button lights up momentarily, a green light on the Pace box front panel also flashes for fraction of a second. If you don't see the green light, the box is not receiving the signal. If you do see the green light yet no expected action has been performed by the box, either

1) the box is busy doing something else. This is common when the HDD (especially the external HDD) is near full or has a lot of disk activities going on (e.g. starting 2 simultaneous recordings). It's also more common since the last 2 firmware updates.

2) you're watching a current recording (red slider bar) that has now finished recording (becomes green slider bar). In this special situation, the box cannot correctly calculate the 1-min/5-min marks for the corresponding skip commands. If you stop the playback of the recording and play it again (hit LAST button) the box will be able to calculate the 1-min/5-min marks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you've plugged your dct into a power bar bypass it directly to the wall and then try the remote. I had this problem with my old Tahoe until I bypassed the power bar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The PVR is plugged directly into the wall socket, so the powerbar is not an issue.

I ended up speaking to the SHAW support tech. He had me re-pair the remote to the PVR. Right away the remote response seemed better. He also suggested I use the remote IR extender receiver. I've done this and it seems to still work just fine. When I had the issue, I would press a button a few times on the remote and each time the remote light would flash, but the PVR response light would only flash about once every three or four attempts. I never changed the direction of the remote while dealing with this, so I still feel the problem was internal to the PVR; it might end up being a firmware issue after all. It is surprizing that simply re-pairing the remote appears to have had such a dramatic effect, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if this problem re-appears,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts