Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sounds good for those that don't know how or don't want to worry about any of that stuff. I prefer to do it myself though so I wouldn't subscribe. I've had to fix many a PC lately with virii and spyware problems and the people just don't understand how they keep getting infected - so if this could help I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The product appears to be F-Secure Internet Security 2005. I am currently cycling through all the trial security suites to find one that I really like (my current client uses too much overhead) and was planning on trying F-Secure anyway.

If you buy F-Secure, it is $78US for the first year and $54US for renewal. Shaw, with the six months free, costs $30 Canadian for the first year and $59 Canadian for subsequent years. Not a bad deal if the product is good.

Anyone using F-Secure? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hmmm.. this sounds very familiar... Oh yeah, Cogeco offers it for free. Shaw's price.. $5/month.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17612

Cogeco Cable and F-Secure(R) Corporation today announced a partnership to provide Cogeco Cable customers with Internet Security Services including anti-virus, personal firewall, parental control and anti-spam with anti-spyware coming soon.

Cogeco Internet Security Services, powered by F-Secure's managed security service, will be made available free of charge to all Standard and Pro High Speed Internet customers as of December 15th, 2004.
OK, Cogeco's "Lite" service customers do have to pay $8/month for it.. but the rest of their customers pay absolutely nothing for it.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so its been out for a couple of weeks now - anyone been using it from the start and what do they think of it?

Shawguy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah I'm using it on a test box. No real problems with it, fast updates the only problem I have is that since I installed it I have lost the ability to do tracert's unless I take the firewall down.. Nothing to major I'm sure there is a work around I just haven't found it yet

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I tried it for a week or so and agree with satphile that it is pretty mediocre. I have managed to solve my firewall problem with PC-Cillin and it is so much better than F-Secure.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed it on my computer and it killed my internet - called tech support and they told me to delete my network card drivers from my computer and re-start, re-started and it could not find the drivers and I did not have them on CD, so then my network card wasn't working and still no internet.

I ended the call then. I played around and found the network drivers manually on the HD and got the network card working but still no internet, so I called Shaw back and tech support told me to remove the program and we did that and my internet started working again. So I will not use Shaw Secure ever again - worst 4 hr experience ever.

Also after I installed it I noticed my PC was ALOT slower than before and it was giving me errors, so basically even though Shaw Secure is Free its a bigger hassle.

I will not recommend Shaw Secure to Anyone now!

Shawguy

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
shawguy,

I had the same problem with KPF and with Trend Micro ... turned out that another installed firewall will interfere. Turning off ZoneAlarm or Sygate is not enough, you actually have to uninstall to get other firewalls to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JohnnyCanuck said:
The product appears to be F-Secure Internet Security 2005. I am currently cycling through all the trial security suites to find one that I really like (my current client uses too much overhead) and was planning on trying F-Secure anyway.

If you buy F-Secure, it is $78US for the first year and $54US for renewal. Shaw, with the six months free, costs $30 Canadian for the first year and $59 Canadian for subsequent years. Not a bad deal if the product is good.

Anyone using F-Secure? Any thoughts?
I downloaded Shaw Secure (F-Secure) yesterday. I immediately lost network
capability. Spent many hours trying to get tech help only to find that he couldn't help when I finally got through. I was told that a "special team" is dealing with this known issue and I will be contaced by one of them.

Another problem: Virus scans take about an hour depending on your system. I have one gig ram, 120 gig hard drive, pentium 4, and the scan was about 40 minutes. I gave up on the older computer after 40 minutes as I needed to work on it.

Still waiting to hear from the "special team." If it wasn't snowing out, I probably would have gone out and purchased Norton Antivirus again, then added the old reliable FREE Zonelabs firewall. The headaches are just not worth it.

Blue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shaw Secure Progress

I have solved the networking problem! :) By choosing the Custom setting in Firewall (for networking experts only :confused: ) the rule was accepted and I now have network capability once more.

I also found that I was able to work on the computer while the antivirus scan worked in the background so even if it takes an hour it doesn't matter.

Not being an expert, I am at a loss as to why the Shaw technician could not have helped me out as it is really quite simple. It would have saved me HOURS of frustration.

I do, however, see one possible drawback to this setting. Possibly every gremlin who wants to browse my computer will cause an alert box to pop up and I will have to hit the Deny button. Will keep you posted on this.

By the way, I am still waiting for a member of the "expert team" to call me back and show me the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried Shaw Secure for a week.
My email slowed down considerably, but more important was that the connection to web sites was a real problem.
In some instances the connection would be made but then it would disconnect, connect again, disconnect, you get the idea.
Overall the program varied in its operation.
Finanally I gave up and removed it, never did contact Shaw.
I am now trying PC-cillin.
It has been working without a problem over the past week.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shaw offering Faulty and unreliable products.....nah..really? :rolleyes:

Now I can tell why Shaw "Not Very" Secure "and Reliable" is Free at the moment - cause its horrible. Well I am back with Norton and works fine!

Shawguy ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shaw ticking along well here. NP so far. Interesting how experiences differ. I found the latest offerings from Norton very slow.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I find that it slows down my computer, mainly cause they got like 15 or so programs running in the background. I guess you get what you paid for, oh yeah, we didn't pay for it, heh!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts