Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
This may have been asked before, and I did do a search ,but found nothing.

I have a DCT 2000 set-top box, and when on the CBL function, with the original remote (Millenium4), it would turn the cable box and the TV on or off at the same time, without having to press the "TV" button to turn the TV on or off.

I just traded the original remote in (malfunctioning channel selection buttons) on an Atlas 1055 remote, and now I have to press the "TV" function button to turn the TV off separately. Is there a setting somewhere to get this new remote to turn the TV and the DCT off at the same time?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,633 Posts
Just as an FYI, these STBs use roughly the same power when off (standby) as when on, so for people with STBs (not PVRs), I often recommend programming the power sequence to simply turn off the TV and to leave the STB on. This way you're never out of sequence...

This is all covered in the remote's operating manual instructions for "master power" or whatever it's called. Of course you may need to programme in the correct code for your TV first, but it sounds as though the remote already knows that if you're able to turn the power off now.

Motorola Tips: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the links that were sent, but couldn't find anything specific to my original question.

Yes,the remote will turn the TV off, but only if you change to "TV" mode on the remote. The old remote I had would turn off both the TV and cable box when in "CBL" mode. I would like that functionality back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

you will have to program it do so. I had to replace my pvr remote a while back and it came with a manual. In the manual it gave instructions on how to one touch power, a series of devices. This time I really took advantage and punched in the code of my amp as well.

You have to hold the button say, tv and then go to setup and enter the particular code for your model.

I can't tell you anymore as I had to look at the manual when I did it.

Try here...

http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/Mil4_setup.PDF

This is the millenium 4 manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No worries mate, heres a breakdown for you...

1. Press CBL until it flashes once

2. Press and hold Setup until the last-selected device key (In this case the CBL button) blinks twice

3. Press 9-9-5. The last-selected device key (Again in this case, still CBL) will blink twice. Then press PWR

4. Press CBL once. Then press PWR once.

5. Press TV once. Then press PWR once.

4. Repeat step 4 as desired to add the 3rd, 4th and 5th device (Not necessary if only looking to power on TV + DCT)

5. Press CBL again, Then press and hold Setup until the CBL key blinks twice

You should be done!!! Hit power and your DCT + TV should turn off/on in sequence. You should also see the DCT then TV buttons on the remote lighting up in sequence also, everytime you hit the power button.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is there a setting somewhere to get this new remote to turn the TV and the DCT off at the same time?

Is that not what the "USING THE MASTER POWER KEY" section in the Users Guide found by following the link in Post #2 above describes? I have this remote and it is set up to power the TV and cable box with a single key press by following those instructions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I just found this link to the Millenium 4 manual, showing the procedure for the "multiple unit power control". I hope the Atlas works the same.....

PROGRAMMING THE POWER KEY FOR
ALL ON/OFF (CABLE MODE ONLY)
With the Millennium 4, you can program the POWER
key to turn all of your equipment on and off with the
press of one button in the Cable mode. In other modes,
individual power control is retained, so you can still
power on or off your TV,VCR or DVD player, or audio
component independently.
1. On the Millennium 4, press CBL once. Press
and hold SETUP until the LED blinks twice,
then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 5.The LED will blink twice.
3. Press POWER once.
4. Enter the following sequence*:
a. Press CBL once, then POWER once.
b. Press TV once, then POWER once.
c. Press VCR once, then POWER once.
d. Press AUDIO once, then POWER once.
e. Finally, press CBL once.
5. Press and hold SETUP until the LED blinks
twice, then release SETUP.
6. Now,when you press CBL once and then press
POWER once, the Millennium 4 will direct
power to your cable converter,TV,VCR or DVD
player, and audio component and leave the
remote control in the Cable mode.
* NOTE: If you do not want all of your equipment to power up
all of the time, you can shorten step 4 to include only those
devices you want to turn on or off. For example, to just power
up your TV and Cable Converter, enter the following sequence
for step 4:
a. Press CBL once, then POWER once.
b. Press TV once, then POWER once.
c. Finally, press CBL once.
Now when you press CBL once and then press POWER once,
the Millennium 4 will only direct power to your Cable converter
and TV, and still leave the remote control in the Cable mode.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am setting up my elderly father in law's system and want to make it as simple as possible. He has a Samsung plasma, the Motorola 6200 (non-PVR) and audio is through a Panasonic receiver (The Samsung's internal speakers are turned off). I have the remote programmed so the power button turns all 3 devices on and off. When in the CBL mode so as to control the Shaw box, the volume button controls the TV. Is there a way to program the volume button so as to control volume on the Panasonic receiver while still controlling the Shaw box? He can do this now by pushing AUD on the remote but he then has to push CBL to change channels and finds it confusing to do so. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
56,633 Posts
Should be under something like "Global Volume Lock" or something similar in the remote control's operating manual. You "fix" the volume control to the "AUD" button, so that you can stay in CBL mode, but the volume controls the AVR.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
From page 17 of the Shaw ATLAS PVR Universal Remote Control manual:
Locking Volume Control To One Mode (Global Volume Lock)

NOTE: The audio mode’s volume controls are active regardless of Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls to the AUD mode, you will control the audio device’s volume in all other modes (i.e., AUX, DVD, TV, or CBL). This can be an advantage if, for example, you always listen to home entertainment devices through your receiver’s speakers.

1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP until the last-selected device key blinks twice.
  2. Enter 9 9 3. The last-selected device key will blink twice.
  3. Select a mode (e.g., TV or AUD) which you want to use to control the volume. The selected device key will blink twice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shaw PVR Remote Issue

The girlfriend is finally getting too fed up with this issue so I need to have it resolved.

We're using the standard Atlas 1056DVR universal remote that came with our DCT3416 purchased in September '08. What will happen when we press any button (volume up/down in Audio/TV, channel up or down in CBL, number keys in CBL, etc) the remote will switch to CBL mode and the the CBL button will blink twice. This has the effect of a) not turning down the volume when we need it turned down, and b) slowing down the input of channels.

This will happen with any subsequent keypresses until we press one of the function buttons (AUD/TV/CBL) four or five times. It's maddening, and it has been going on for as long as I can remember having the remote.

Tried:
Fresh Battery change.
Re-programming device codes.
Removing all macros from all buttons.
Turning off all mode locks.

We have another the same remote, though older, so the buttons don't really work unless pressed hard, so that one is delegated to the bedroom, but it doesn't exhibit any of the newer remotes' behaviour.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Take both remotes in when you go and Shaw will replace them for free, as long as you are a current subscriber. They will ask for your info so they can verify you are.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You can also try to reprogram the Motorola device back into the Shaw remote to see it that helps. Press CBL, then press and hold Setup til CBL blicks once then 2 more times. Press 1376 then press CBL then Setup and CBL should blink once. See if this improves things. If not swap out the remote and see if things improve. It could be the remote is not programmed properly for the other devices as well so not really sure what the challenge is.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Just don't be too surprised if that doesn't work. In trying it on about half a dozen remotes, it has never worked for me. Shaw has always been really good about replacing them. Don't forget to take your batteries out as they will just scrap the remote when you take it in for replacement.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts