Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shaw fights back at Telus

I live in Burnaby, BC. Last year I canceled my Telus home phone & internet (bad service) and went Triple Play with Shaw (Bundle priced at: High Speed internet $37/mo, Home Phone Basic $20.95/mo & HD Plus $16/mo - my basic cable is paid thru building rent).

I recently received the following offer from Telus in the mail:
If I sign up for 2 or 3 services of the services below I will get them at $15/month each for 12 months.
- Optik TV (89 channels, 10 HD plus free HD PVR)
- Optik High Speed internet (Wi-Fi modem)
- Home Phone

I didn't want to go back to Telus (plus their TV package looks weak) so I called Shaw to see if they would match - they said no :(. The best they could do was:
- no change to phone
- $9.95/month for internet for 12 months
- free HD Plus for 6 months

That works out to a savings of more than 470 bucks (including HST) for the year! :D Wow, I was expecting something like more channels that I don't need or want (HD is almost all I watch now) but to save that much money was a pleasant surprise indeed. I was worried when Shaw said they could not match but now I must say that competition is a good thing!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've also been a fully loaded subscriber for many years. Can anyone from Shaw confirm if this package is no longer available? Any details perhaps?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've sent an email to Shaw asking whether the Fully Loaded package is being withdrawn and if so, what happens to those of us who currently have the package. If I get a reply, I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I haven't heard of anything about the Loaded package being discontinued. I know it did not get the Oasis HD channel added to it but had not heard anything other than that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I indeed get a reply from Shaw today stating that the Fully Loaded package is being 'retooled' and reevaluated and that the Oasis HD thing started it the revamp. The email also said that Oasis HD should be available again for those that have the Fully Loaded package. I have to give kudos to Shaw for the quick and informative reply.

"The ‘Fully Loaded’ package is in the process of being re-examined, however this should not affect customers who already have the package. There have been several new channels added lately, and this has caused us to take a look at the Fully Loaded package as not all channels were able to be added. One channel in particular, Oasis HD, was originally not included with Fully Loaded, but we will be adding it back to the package very soon, if it has not been already. Once the package is re-tooled, it will be available once again on our website, but regardless, this will not affect your current packaging. We apologize for any confusion. "

·
Registered
530 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the update. I've always been a little worried about this happening. It would seem rather silly to call it "Fully Loaded" while removing channels from the package. I hate to say it but I'd rather pay a little extra and continue to get all the channels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bundle Pricing

If they hadn't dropped Oasis HD from the grandfather HD plus subscribers I wouldn't have taken the time to really look at my bill. My issue is, on my bill it show the bundle price for digital TV plus movies and high speed internet at $121.95 + $12 for HD plus and -$5 for purchased modem. Their new pricing for the same bundle is $116.95 with an included modem. How can this be legal???

I no longer am getting any benefit out of owning the modem, I wonder how many people on the old grandfathered plan that were renting their modems are still paying $121.95?

The way I see it I should get the 5 dollar discount for owning the modem off the new price of $116.95... I'll even pay $16 for HD plus and I'd still be paying $1 less per month than I am now!! Shaw sure doesn't respect their "grandfathers"

·
Registered
52 Posts
digital tv = 62.95
movies = 17.00
grandfathered hd plus = 12.00
HSpeed = 37.00

TOTAL = 128.95 - 5.00 = 123.95

digital tv = 62.95
movies = 17.00
new hd plus = 16.00
HSpeed = 37.00

TOTAL = 132.95 - 50.. = 127.95

Where are you getting 116.95?

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Shaw has had the $5 modem discount on the bills for years. And yes I purchased my modem for $60 back in 2003.... and now they give the modems to new customers for free.....but they have to give them back if they cancel. The only benefit now to owning a modem....is you can sell it online if you ever leave shaw or take it to a company that offers Shaw services as a 3rd party.

Otherwise there is no benefit to owning a modem

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The $37 price for the internet already has the $5 discount on it so it should read:

digital tv = 62.95
movies = 17.00
grandfathered hd plus = 12.00
HSpeed = 37.00

TOTAL = 128.95 ... without $12 HD Plus pack = $116.95

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Then why do they add it to the bill as if it WAS a benefit?
It is there to indicate that you own the modem. Shaw can't really just convert all the modems back to a rental (which are free and now have the $5 discount as well) when customer's have purchased the modems for as much as $59.95.

Prior to the renatl modem getting the $5 discount it WAS a benefit. Rather than changing all of the billing it's likely just easier to leave it indicated on the billing like it is.

·
Banned
79 Posts
It is there to indicate that you own the modem. Shaw can't really just convert all the modems back to a rental (which are free and now have the $5 discount as well) when customer's have purchased the modems for as much as $59.95.

Prior to the renatl modem getting the $5 discount it WAS a benefit. Rather than changing all of the billing it's likely just easier to leave it indicated on the billing like it is.
So they add $5 to your bill if you own your modem, just to take it off again? My billing is shown below. If I didn't own my own modem would it show 116.95 for Digital TV/Movies & High-Speed? If so, I'm with dmachura. That's completely wrong and I feel ripped off.

DETAILS OF YOUR CURRENT CHARGES
Current Monthly Services (03-Dec-10 to 02-Jan-11)
Digital TV/Movies & High-Speed 121.95
HD Plus Package 12.00
Purchased Modem Discount -5.00
Total Current Monthly Services $128.95

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
No they don't add it and then remove it. For someone renting the modem I believe the "Purchased Modem Discount -$5" is replaced by " Lifetime Rental Modem Discount -$5". The bundle is $121.95 regardless and then the modem discount comes off making the resulting price of the bundle $116.95. Shaw has to differeniate whether it's a rental modem discount or purchased modem discount as the rental modem disocount did not used to exist. For purchased modem customers this confirms for them that the modem is a purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, they write the bill up to show a discount in order to trick the long time customers into thinking they are getting a benefit.

You can't tell me the only way shaw can know if you have a rental or owned modem is by putting it on your bill. It is just plain fraud.

If its not a benefit then say so, the bill could easily say "bundle price" of $116.95 and delete the phony purchased modem "discount".

But wait, then more people would think (know) they're getting gouged again by shaw.
Ignorance is bliss......

·
Registered
15 Posts
need to choose a package but confused

I hope some one can help me decide here ,
it's been a good 10 years since I had shaw cable tv service ,
I have phone and eHighspeed atm ,
my current tv is bell , and they have taken advantage me one too many times now .
a friend of mine has to switch from shaw to telus due to poor underground cables ,and in doing so , he will be giving me his shaw PVR ,
so I'm planning on taking shaw up on there offer to swap my bell hardware for there's
but in looking at the packages i get rather confused .
to start off i'm in calgary if that makes any different .
and what are the main differences in these ?
Digital Basic with HD Programming Included for $36.95
Includes Shaw Digital Basic and Shaw HD Basic programming.
With your Shaw Digital Basic Programming, add an HD Box and receive up to
13 no-cost HD channels.
Going HD has never been more affordable!

HD Basic for 62.95

Includes Digital TV
Includes up to 13 HD Basic channels
Includes HD Time Shifting: East and West feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC HD channels in most markets

looking at what it's described , as side from time shifting , it's the same ?
I really don't need alot , I would like something cheap with HD networks , thats I can then add the HD movie pack too .
I don't need time shifting , as nice as it is I don't need it right now.

so what I was thinking of doing was the Basic with HD programing , (as I will have an HD unit)
and add the movies to that for 17.

for a subtotal of 53.95 , and have it bundled to drop my total will another 5 or 10 ? I can't remember that now or if that has changed.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Let me try to help you out. The first option for $36.95 is for digital basic and HD basic. The second option for $62.95 is for digital tv and HD basic. The difference being that with the second option you get all the channels in tiers 1,2,3 and a few additional digital specialty channels not available with digital basic such as Russia Today, Grace TV, Nickelodeon, Sportsnet One, and I think at least one other that I can't seem to recall at the moment, at least here in Winnipeg. HD Time Shifting is a part of HD basic in any case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so in looking , for someone that really just needs basic tv with a bit of HD , and movies then the basic is fine ? I'm not to worried about the TLC's Dic and national stuff , nor sports as we aren't sports fans,
I also notice that the higher one says , access to Pay per views , video on demand . and one terminal .
so if I add a second one I suppose this is an added cost ? will I still have the shaw on demand stuff ?

I think I may be calling shaw in the morning , and ditching my $120 worth of bell , thats seems to be mostly french and sell my PVR

121 - 140 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.