Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
IP Address

What is this IP address charge related to? PVR or internet?

I would have posted just the monthly service but they do not break it down and tell you what's changed.

There's no notification on our bills telling clients of any price increases.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
They do usually notify of price increases. As for the HD Plus, as was mentioned by Mungar, you probably had the first month free, and since you didn't cancel it, they went ahead and charged you for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Still think it's reverse invoicing....which is illegal by CRTC. They had that issue years ago when Shaw told people that they had to 'inform' them that they didn't want particular channels before they would stop charging for them.

The "Free" promotion should have "stopped" automatically until the customer 'ordered' it.

That's like me sending you a bill for something you didn't order...but took the money from your account..because you didn't reply with a response.

Just because I bought a PVR from Shaw and called in to 'activate it', doesn't mean I subscribed to it in the first place!

·
Registered
95 Posts
@yaletownboy the 9.95 for an additional IP address is added in on one hand then there is an equivalent 9.95 deduction in your value bundle deduction. I agree that it is confusing.

As for the negative marketing slant, try it on when you call Shaw to cancel and let us know if you were successful!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanx whitecapsfan.

I cancelled the HD Plus.
I also gave feedback that their detailed transaction list should be more "friendly-looking" rather than a General ledger look.

They also said that they did announce a rate increase in August.... of course, they said that *MY* invoice didn't have it listed on the bill and they apologized for it.

So did anyone else NOT have this announcement printed on their August Bill?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
As a follow-up to the 'deal' I wrote about in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127209:

I am actually being charged $84.95 for everything. Somehow the original agent was 'talking' about the $79.95 deal but that doesn't include the HD+ channels. They do have a 'deal', that I am now on, that has everything I had before but it's $84.95/mo. Considering they are only charging me $5 for all of them, I can live with that since the total bill is still far less than what I was paying before. For my 'trouble', they offered to credit my account $5 for this month. I know it isn't much but I'm still getting a good deal, as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Because of your original post, Jetranger, I was able to get basically the same deal and save lots of money without losing any programming. Thanks for sharing the info. The whole site, Digital Home, is full of valuable info.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not sure if this posted anywhere else. but Shaw is offering 3 months free movie central and 3 months free super channel. you must be a NEW subscriber and order before the end of Nov.

As Shaw bills in advance make sure to ask them for the date when to cancel so you wont be billed if your not keeping it.

I decided to order, even though i feel the both services are really bad, but i thought what the heck if i can get a few movies out of free why not.

I guess this is there way of combating netflixs.

I can only confirm this offer for the Saskatoon area, other regions may not have it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I decided to order, even though i feel the both services are really bad, but i thought what the heck if i can get a few movies out of free why not.
Exactly why I ordered it. One HD channel sucks and the movie selection isn't great. But the odd movie over three months is all I really want. No intention of keeping it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Still think it's reverse invoicing....which is illegal by CRTC. They had that issue years ago when Shaw told people that they had to 'inform' them that they didn't want particular channels before they would stop charging for them.

The "Free" promotion should have "stopped" automatically until the customer 'ordered' it.

That's like me sending you a bill for something you didn't order...but took the money from your account..because you didn't reply with a response.

Just because I bought a PVR from Shaw and called in to 'activate it', doesn't mean I subscribed to it in the first place!
Except shaw prebills their services. IE when you get the bill your paying for your next month of service.. they're not billing you for services rendered already. I bet that gets around the reverse billing thing, because it gives you time to cancel it before actually having to pay for it.

I don't think its fair, but I'm guess thats one of the advantages for companies who bill in advance?

·
Registered
255 Posts
As a follow-up to the 'deal' I wrote about in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127209:

I am actually being charged $84.95 for everything. Somehow the original agent was 'talking' about the $79.95 deal but that doesn't include the HD+ channels. They do have a 'deal', that I am now on, that has everything I had before but it's $84.95/mo. Considering they are only charging me $5 for all of them, I can live with that since the total bill is still far less than what I was paying before. For my 'trouble', they offered to credit my account $5 for this month. I know it isn't much but I'm still getting a good deal, as far as I am concerned.

Interesting that you had that experience. I just went through exactly the same thing this week in Thunder Bay. TBAYTEL has just launched their cable TV service. I went to Shaw and asked what they would do to keep my business. On Thursday I was told the "for this week only" I could get all of my services if I had Shaw Phone for $79.95. I said fine. On Saturday I called back because I did not get a call on the setup date for the phone. They then told me that this would not include the HD+ nor would it include the Movie Network package I have. I stated that they saw what I had and should have been able to tell me right then about the extra costs. So I said to do the setup and I would see what the total would be. This is not any way to retain customers - especially when I already advised them that I was looking at TBAYTEL and they seemed to have a better deal. The CR at the store apologised and said trying to decipher the bill was a real problem. Really!! We as the customers have to put up with the confusing nonsense from those bills every month. So I will see what it costs and I may wander over to TBAYTEL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grandfathered HD Plus and Oasis

I noticed two days ago that the OASIS channel displayed the "Not authorised" message. Since I have been a HD Plus subscriber (and the Shaw web page indicates that Oasis is part of the HD Plus service) I called customer service. After some time, the agent determined that my HD Plus service was at a grandfathered price and therefore Oasis was not included. He offered to add it at $2.95/month.
I informed him that this appears to be false advertising since nowhere does it indicate that "grandfathered" means being treated differently from new subscribers. I wonder what other "included" services will start to disappear?
Anybody have similar problems or additional insights?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I still have Oasis with the 'new' deal I am on and was previously a 'grandfathered' HD+ customer. I wonder if I will no longer be considered a 'grandfathered' customer once my 12 discount runs out? It wouldn't surprise me. Oh well, I guess I will see how desperate they are to keep me as customer when that time comes around.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I still have Oasis with the 'new' deal I am on and was previously a 'grandfathered' HD+ customer. I wonder if I will no longer be considered a 'grandfathered' customer once my 12 discount runs out? It wouldn't surprise me. Oh well, I guess I will see how desperate they are to keep me as customer when that time comes around.
+1. It seems that they are doing everything in their power to upset their long term clients. Perhaps they think we have really short memories.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Edit: Just for clarity, that was supposed to be '12 month discount'. I hope I didn't confuse anyone, sorry.

·
Registered
702 Posts
what are the new deals with shaw cable tv?

I am looking for basic and classic to connect to my htpc, no need to digital or hd.

Last year I had hd, with hd pvr, 6 months for $29.95 per month, plus i saved $8 per month of my internet. I just wish it would stay the same after 6 months.

Has anyone had the deal go longer than 6 months?

will i need a digital box come aug 2011? or is that just for ota?

thanks

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
New deals are coming out on Dec 1st however the current deals are much better. Current offers are for 12 months in most cases but as of Dec 1st Shaw will be offering the following to new subscribers (mostly 6 month promos):
-Extreme internet for $29.95/month for 6 months and can include a free wireless gateway for the promotion period
-Digital Basic cable for $29.95/month for 6 months including 1 free DCT700 for the promotion period
-Digital TV (Classic + Digital) for $39.95/month for 6 month including 1 free DCT700 for the promotion period
-Shaw Home Phone Basic for $19.95/month for 6 months.

The current offers that expire Nov. 30th are much better in our opinion so would recommend anyone on the fence to call before then to get the best deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Fully Loaded" plan gone bye-bye

Just looking on Shaw's website and I don't see the Fully Loaded plan which I have had for over three years on main programming page anymore: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Television/HDTV/HDTVProgramming.htm

When Fully Loaded was there, it included a description that all digital and speciality channels along with all HD channels (MC or SC) were included. Now all that info is missing.

I wonder if Shaw is getting ready to get rid of the Fully Loaded package or are they tinkering with it. I did notice today that I no longer get Pet Central and of course, no Oasis HD.

The only place I can see it now is as one of the options for the Bundle Pricing:

101 - 120 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.