Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi

My currently "full meal deal" promotion is expiring and I really don't need that much TV so I want to down-grade to something else.

My plan is to get just basic cable and HD channels and according to Shaw website only Digital Cable is available now?

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/BundlesAndPricing/default.htm

I am currently renting a HDPVR and I plan to keep it so would I have access to basic HD channels like ( ABC, NBC, CBS ) with no extra cost?

I live in Saskatoon.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
17,524 Posts
Shaw's policy has been that if you order the Digital Basic package and you have an HD box, they will include the HD network channels (NOT Tier 1, 2, 3). So you will get 200-209. This worked in Winnipeg in July, so you should be able to do the same in Saskatoon. Just say you want to get Digital Basic and confirm that you will still get 200-209.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Do they allow you to have just digital basic and pay the extra $9/month to get all of the HD Plus stations? If they would add CNN and HLN to the HD package this would be just about ideal for me in terms of maximizing networks that I actually watch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, I have just the digital basic, which gives 10 HD channels, and add the extra 10 HD channels for $10. Its really one of the best values Shaw offers, but it isn't really offered or explained on their price charts. Looking at the website, you would think you had to pay $61 to get ANY HD stuff.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your tips! Here's what I have now.

Shaw Digital Basic with Pace HDPVR + High speed internet and I am getting all the Basic channels as I should and almost all the HD channels too ( 200 to 224 ). According the Shaw, I got HD basic free for having the box and HD Plus free for having internet service as well.

I have to say, I am quite happy with this set up.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
and HD Plus free for having internet service as well.
Hmmm...never heard of that before. You sure it's not just a free trial?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that I know of... they didn't mention it.

On a side note, I told them to disconnect the Digital Phone service 6 days ago and it's still on and it took Shaw 3 days to change my TV/Internet service to what I wanted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In Vancouver...

Could someone just have "digital tv basic" with highspeed internet and get the HD plus free? I don't think so?

I would even take the option of paying for DigitalTV Basic and just the extra HD Plus channels?

would that be possible? I dont think so.. you have to pay the full 69.95 right?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, you can get digital basic for 35.95 and hdplus for 9.00.

The HD Plus is only free in Saskatchewan because competing companies offer their HD channels at no extra charge, so Shaw does the same.

·
Registered
109 Posts
looks like i'll be switching from HD PLUS to DIGITAL BASIC and adding the $9/mth HDPLUS. it'll save me about $15/mth.

are the DIGITAL MUSIC channels include with DIGITAL BASIC? i couldn't really find it on the shaw site?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
are the DIGITAL MUSIC channels include with DIGITAL BASIC? i couldn't really find it on the shaw site?
Yes, they are.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Here in Winnipeg we can also get HD Plus free with the new plan they're offering to new subscribers, but it is only for a year I believe. I guess i'll find out since i'm getting the deal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here in Winnipeg we can also get HD Plus free with the new plan they're offering to new subscribers, but it is only for a year I believe. I guess i'll find out since i'm getting the deal.
i'm not a new subscribed, so i won't be offered that.

i might ask for it, but they won't offer it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Digital Basic is free when you have a DCT on billing with Basic cable (roughly $35.95) and should come with about 20-25 digital channels and the 40 music channels (400-440).

·
Registered
41 Posts
What channels do you get with Digital Basic? I am in Thunder Bay, and there are channels called Basic Cable, but there are also the Classic Cable 'Tiers'. Any idea if I would get all 3 Tiers as well as the Basic Cable channels?

I would be interested in doing this too, just getting the DIgital Basic, and adding the HD channels. I have a bunch of channels I never watch. I have 2 digital boxes and one HD PVR (6412III)

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.