Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just ordered Shaw Phone. I'm now a bit concerned with the installation they will be faced with.

I live in an older house. The phone lines come into the house in a place that inside the ceiling (I have an access panel) and is nowhere near an electrical outlet. Furthermore, the shaw coax enters at the complete other end of the house.

What exactly is involved with the install of the Shaw terminal? I'm assuming it needs to tie into the phone lines, be plugged into power, and also be tied into the coax? I'm basing this off of assumptions, can someone who has Shaw phone please confirm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Shaw home phone does NOT require to be installed near your phone line point of demarcation.

The beauty of shaw home phone is that it can be installed even where your current coax does not run to, the installer will run a wire there. As long as there is a phone outlet near by, the phone box can tie into your homes wiring that way, through a wall jack or baseboard jack. Easy as pie.

Some installers do choose the point of demarcation because it makes the wiring job much cleaner, but for your sake, the other way works too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks for your reply. Is it coax or cat5 that the installer needs to run to the phone box?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
102 Posts
You still have to have a monstrosity of a modem screwed into your wall. Not that i'm complaining too much. After being raped by Telus all those years Shaw is a cats ass.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The installer that did mine used CAT3. (Technically, RJ11 is a jack, not a cable.)

You're just making the installers work for their pay, that's all ;) Please post back and let us know how things went if you have the time.

m.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi,

I had Shaw phone installed a few days ago. All painless as the modem is
in with the other breakers and where the phone lines come into the house.
Looks like lots of neat little features which Telus nickel and dime you for.
Only this was the installer must have had his tool kit against the surface of the wll. Some scuff marks or something.

Hopefully it will come off with a cleaner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts